Driving San Diego to Tucson

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're driving from San Diego to Tucson in August. It looks like about a 7-8 hour ride. Any ideas of anything interesting to see along the way? Yuma looks like the biggest town but not much there.
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:56 AM

We make this drive a couple of times a year. It takes 6 hours (even with my husband driving.)

I like to leave very early in the morning before the sun comes up and try to be in Boulevard or In-Ko-Pah for the sunrise. The desert is beautiful in the early morning.

The last time we drove home from Phoenix and stopped in Gila Bend, usually we whiz right past it. In Gila Bend there is the Big Giant Chickens. I know, couldn’t you just die from the excitement? Click on my name and see the pic posted , unless you want to see a huge selection of metal yard sculptures in person. Actually, it was kind of fun. I offer this up because these are “sights” we’ve entertained ourselves while driving to and from Arizona.

Stop at Dateland for a date shake.

You can always stretch your legs at Picacho Peak.

Other than these meager suggestions- get a really good audio book.
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
And don't forget that when you're driving along the seemingly endless road in Imperial Valley, the California Highway Patrol really does patrol that area with planes.

As you get close to the Arizona border, you'll find yourself in an area of huge sand dunes.

http://www.desertusa.com/sandhills/sandhinfo.html
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:58 AM

After making that trip several times, I finally made the turn off on Painted Rock Road to see the Petroglyphs! There's a big sign on the highway you can't miss it about 15 miles west of Gila Bend (which I also love).

The site lies about 10 miles north of the highway, you drive past cotton fields to a large outcropping of black rocks just covered completely in petroglyphs. There's a campground right next to it where you can park, but there's a trail that goes all the way around the rocks.

If you like that kind of thing it's not something you see every day and It's a nice break from the drive. I found a link with some directions - you can also see the site on Google maps too

http://www.go-arizona.com/Petroglyph-Campground
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Your going in August and that is the hottest time of the year with temps over 120..unless you go super early, I would just try and get there..not much on the way but do love the date shake at Dateland..see they are adding a drive thru and we like to stop for a double double at the In and Out in Yuma off the 16th street exit.
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Now I'm jonesing for a date shake. Those are good!

We usually hit the road as early as possible - 4:30 or 5 at the very latest. Recommend you have a longsleeve shirt on and something to block the sun...it's brutal in August.
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:26 PM

We live in San Diego and used to drive back and forth between Tucson for four years when our daughter attended the University of Arizona (Go Wildcats!)

It is about a 6 hour drive, and once you leave the Calif border you will drive long, long, long, stretches of hot desert. MAKE SURE YOU FILL UP YOUR GAS TANK EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU SEE A GAS STATION. There is basically nothing between Yuma and Tucson. It is a beautiful drive if you like moon landscapes. August will be HOT! So make sure your air conditioning works. We we made the drive (2000-2004) there were stretches where you can't get cell phone reception.

Tucson is a nice town.
I assume you are driving straight through on Interstate 8 East?
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:17 PM

You will find gasoline is much cheaper once you get out of California. We usually arrange to tank up in the Yuma area. Be sure you have plenty of water with you.
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:48 PM

When you get to Tucson get an Egee's.
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Calexico has an amazing taco place. If mexican food is your thing. It's called Los Amigos Taco Shop‎ Ste E, 221 Campillo St, Calexico, CA‎ - (760) 768-1607‎. It's near Yuma off I-8. I-10 is way too boring and starts to get congested about an hour from Quartzsite. There's a date shake place which was fun also coming from San Diego.