Search

Trip review - Hudson River Valley

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip review - Hudson River Valley

Just wanted to share the details of a great 2 night day getaway:
Stayed at a lovely colonial inn in Rhinebeck -- the Olde Rhinebeck Inn. I'd recommend both the inn and the town -- Rhinebeck was a lot more scenic and charming than Hyde Park (which had some great activities, but was neither scenic nor charming). Had we had more time we would've dined in downtown Rhinebeck more and explored the shops. Our inn was a couple miles from the town center, so it is not the best fit for those who wish to walk to shops/dinner.

Really enjoyed the FDR Museum (you could spend hours in the museum) and especially liked the beautiful Vanderbilt property, where we had an excellent guided tour.

I'd recommend going to the Culinary Institute (CIA) for lunch at the Apple Pie Cafe. The lunch fare is great and you get to eat and admire the stunning dessert creations. Its only open on weekdays. Our dinner at Caterina de Medici was nothing terribly memorable, and the service (from students) wasn't great. If I had to do it over, I'd have eaten that meal in Rhinebeck.

Great spring getaway! The scenery along the Hudson is lovely!
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:14 PM
yk

Sounds fantastic. I've always wanted to visit the Hudson river Valley... just need to find the time!
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:12 AM

There was a special insert in the Sunday NY Times about the Hudson River Valley and special events this summer because of the 400th anniversary of its "discovery" (by Europeans--as my son points out, Native Americans were there long before)

Last summer I suggested that some British friends who were visiting the US stop along the Hudson River after arriving in Newark and before heading to Vermont to visit us. They were fascinated by the area
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:46 AM

I love that area. We always stay at The Beekman Arms. I enjoy the FDR museum as well as Eleanor Roosevelt's getaway home.
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for your report--we'll be up that way this summer.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM

I live in and love the Hudson Valley. You made some good choices, and are correct that Rhinebeck is absolutely the best place for a first trip to the area.
the CIA runs hot and cold depending on what stage of training the students are at, but it is always interesting to see what goes on there.
FDR site in Hyde Park is just full of history, and the views from the Vanderbilt estate are staggering. nice for walking also, and the garden, kept up by volunteers.
There's more for your next trip, like Bard College with its amazing Gehry performing arts center, and Montgomery Place, an old colonial on the river, plus, further north, Frederick Church's Olana. Keep on coming back, and thanks for the report.
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:26 AM

I'll add Kykuit (the Rockefeller estate), Storm King Art Center, DIA: Beacon and West Point to the above mentioned sites. These are south of the the those previously discussed.
Like taconictraveler, I live and love the Hudson Valley. We are never at a loss for places to visit!
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:11 AM

While you're checking out the FDR and Vanderbilt historic sites, go down River Road behind the Vanderbilt to the river. You'll find the Historic Hyde Park Railroad Station. This building has been restored to the way it was in Roosevelt's time and is open to the public on weekends during the summer. In addition to its history, it also contains spome nice model railroads.