Cashiers-Fairway Forest at Sapphire Valley

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to get input on the Fairway Forest at Sapphire Valley. First of all, if you hae stayed at this location, what would be your input? Also, temp wise what should I expect early June? Finally, any whitewater rafting in this area that you would reccommend.
Thank you for your time!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:57 AM
jw

I haven't stayed there, but I've been through the area a good bit. It is a very pretty setting. The Nantahala River would be your closest rafting river, but it is pretty tame (and very cold, even in summer!). You would be within a couple of hours of the Ocoee River in TN and the Chattooga River on the GA/SC border which would be much more exciting rafting trips. As far as the weather, June should be pretty nice. It can still get pretty warm in the mountains, but shouldn't be as bad as the lower elevations. Should cool off nicely at night. In the mountains it is fairly common to have fog in the morning, which makes it look kind of dreary, but then it burns off for a beautiful day.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:41 PM

You should expect highs in Sapphire Valley in early June to be in the mid 70s to low 80s. The Chattooga River offers first-class whitewater only about 30 minutes away. The Nantahala River is probably about 90 minutes away with calmer water, level I-II (and one level III) rapids.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

It sounds like the Nanatahala River would be a good family rafting trip and the Chatanoga River would be a trip for my husband and older sons to take on another day.
Any suggestions on outfitters?
Thank you for your time and input.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 06:44 PM

Try Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC). They run trips on both rivers and do a good job. You won't be disappointed.