Reload this Page >

Rhine river swimming

Search

Rhine river swimming

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:31 AM
matt

Rhine river swimming

Does anyone know whether there are any "beaches" or swimming areas on the Rhine in Germany. I know it is a very large river and am not interested in any one place. What I have heard is that the river is somewhat polluted and the currents are very strong. But can I swim in it? Thanks

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Dick Yeager

Matt,<BR><BR>We just returned from a trip that included 2 nights in Assmannshausen on the Rhein. The current is extemely strong. There is also tons of large boat traffic. A very busy river. I didn't see anyplace that remotely appeared swimable. A fascinating river.<BR><BR>Dick

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:16 PM
kevin

I took a river cruise on the Rhine a couple of years ago. I saw some beaches adjacent to camping areas, but nothing other than wading. I did see swimming at junctures of small river inlets close to the castle area. Per the other post, the river current is swift. The river is dyked and dredged, which increases the current. Lastly, we passed a LOT of factories - chemical, manufacturing and we saw a LOT of industrial shipping. <BR>Bottom line, I wouldn't swim in it... not unless you don't mind glowing a bit.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Betsy

Our hotel in Stein am Rhein was next to the Rhein. We could look out our window and see all the way to the bottom, through the clear water. Early on a Sunday morning I saw a man from a house across the river topple from his rowboat into the river. The boat headed downstream with him swimming in hot pursuit. He managed to retrieve it eventually and disappeared inside his home, probably to take a hot shower. Even though this happened in June, the day was cold and overcast and the water was probably freezing.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Russ

If you mean the "Middle Rhein" region, there's definitely no river swimming. But there are quite a few towns with public pools just a few feet from the river, in some cases, if you need to get in a few laps.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:34 AM
Hans H

The water quality has improved very much over the last decades, even so much that salmons are back in the Rhine. As far as I know, on most parts of the Rhine the water pure enogh to be of no health risk. Germs are something different and it isn't recommended to gulp down any water and one should take a shower afterwards.<BR>The currents are very dangerous and one should never swim at a place one doesn't know about. In combination with the heavy river traffic, it is really a live-threatening risk and accidents do happen. Out of these reasons, no official Rhine bath exist. <BR><BR>That said, I did swim in the Rhine and many of my friends regularily row on it, which means that they also fell in, and we are all still alive. Several places offered once a year the possibility to swim across the Rhine (boats go close to the swimmers to avoid accidents and traffic is suspended, otherwise it's very dangerous) and I think that it is still done. If you want to swim somewhere in the Rhine, I would recommend looking for other swimmers, asking them for advice where to go and where not, and then use the same place. By the way, during the summer the water is warm, up to 24 degrees celsius or so.