Search

SC to Cape Code

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SC to Cape Code

Hi!
I am new to Fodor's and excited about the help I might get for a trip I'm taking the 2nd week in August. I have been asked to drive 3 senior adult ladies from Florence, SC to Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard. I would like suggestions on the best route(s) that would include bypassing NYC. I just have a fear of driving through that city even though I've never done it. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on routes and/or places of interest, places to stay, and places to eat while there. Thank you so very much!
Old Jun 30th, 2017, 02:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
It is pouring rain outside, nothing on tv so let me see.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Florence-...ineyard-Island

I hate D.C. and Baltimore more than driving around NYC. Are you afraid of tunnels? You could always go Norfolk and take the bay bridge tunnel and then take the cape may lewes ferry and venture that way which is very nice. You would eliminate the nightmare of D.C. and Baltimore. I think you have to just go with or take the train and rent a car after NY.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...yc-traffic.cfm
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 04:12 AM

You can sort of bypass NYC by taking the Garden State Pkwy north off the NJ Turnpike. You would take the Pkwy to the end, then take I-287 over the Tappan Zee Bridge. You have a couple of options at that point, depending on whether you want to take the inland or coastal route, but you're probably better off following the coastal route, I-95, since you're going to have to head in that direction eventually. Anyway, you should try to avoid that area during rush hour.

Also, avoid entering the Cape Cod area on a Fri. night or Sat. a.m. That's a brutal time for traffic in the summer.
Old Jul 1st, 2017, 04:59 AM

You can head up to Charlotte and get on I77 and take this to I81. On up to NYC on I78 and around NYC with this map. It is about an hour and a half longer than the map up I95 where you hit nothing but cities and traffic.
I assume you will be stopping for an overnight anyway.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Flor...41.6687897!3e0
Old Jul 8th, 2017, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will study all of them and make a decision (I hope).