Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

getting to Hyde Park, Greektown from Union Station

Jan 18th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

My daughter and I are heading to the Art Institute at 5- free on Thur.5-8 but get into Chicago at 1:30. We'd like to see Hyde Park and Greektown. Do we have enough time for both and if not, I think we'd do Hyde Park. She is 18. How would we get to Hyde Park from Union Station? And possibly, from there to Greektown and back to Union Station? I've had a good city map and put it in such a good place that I can't find it.
Jan 18th, 2007, 04:41 AM

Hyde Park is ok, but the area between Hyde Park is a little dicey. I would only take Metra Suburban trains to Hyde Park, not Chicago Transit Authority buses or trains.
From Union Stauon you would walk to the Van Buren St. staion and catch the Metra Electric Line to Hyde Park. I'd then return to Van Buren St station. You could either direcly walk west or cab to Greektown. I think Van Buren goes directly into Greektown. I'd take a cab,
it would be a few bucks.

Call Metra for exact info between Chicago and Hyde Park. There are at least two Hyde Park stops.(312) 322-6777
Jan 18th, 2007, 04:44 AM

Thinking about it, maybe you should ask Metra if there is direct service between Union Station and Hyde Park. That would be
better than walking to Van Buren St. station.
Jan 18th, 2007, 08:20 AM

I would not hesitate to take the bus, if it were more convenient. My over-80 Mother takes the bus from downtown to Hyde Park all the time, and so do we when we visit. Check with Metra and CTA for the most convenient transport mode.

If you do take the bus, be careful to take the express, as others take way too long. I believe #6 is the express and you can catch it on State St. southbound.
Jan 18th, 2007, 09:07 AM

The train that runs to Hyde Park does not go to Union Station.

The #6 bus is absolutely fine--it's an express that stays on Lake Shore drive until 47th Street, just north of Hyde Park. What exactly is it about this neighborhood that compells you? Is your daughter interested in the U of C? I'm trying to figure this out, because it's not really a "young" community, even though the University is there.

Greektown, on the other hand, is an easy walk from Union Station, being directly west. You could head there for a late lunch (Greektown is little more than a strip of eateries and bars, and a Walgreens with Greek signs) before heading East to the art institute.

Trying to fit in Hyde Park in 4.5 hours seems like a lot of running around to me. Maybe another time?

Racy
Jan 18th, 2007, 09:16 AM

I would also be ok with a cta bus, as long as its an express
Jan 18th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Greektown would be great for lunch, and it's close to Union Station. Greektown is mostly a few blocks of restaurants, maybe a few shops. Not a whole lot to do besides eating and drinking. Is there something you really want to see in Hyde Park, like the U of C campus? I can't think of anything else there. It's kind of an island of nice area surrounded on most sides by not nice areas. The express bus would be doable, as would the Metra (Illinois Central line) train.
Jan 18th, 2007, 12:22 PM

#6 is the easiest, fastest way to get to Hyde Park as the Metra will require much more walking on both ends (as mentioned above the HP train does NOT leave from union station) The #6 stops right in front of the Art Institute as well. In Hyde Park, the Museum of Science and Industry and the bookstores on 57th street are worth the trip if you are into that type of thing.
Jan 18th, 2007, 01:34 PM

It's not possible to fit in Greektown and Hyde Park in so short a time. You'll have less than 3.5 hours, and it's 20-30 minutes to Hyde Park on the bus (and the express buses won't be running midday). You won't be able to see more than a fraction of the Hyde Park neighborhood.

Greektown is an easy walk from Union Station, and when you are bored you can turn around and head down Adams or Jackson to the Art Institute. There are a lot of famous buildings along the way - Sears Tower, the Board of Trade, the Federal Center (Flamingo statue) Monadnock Building, Carson Pirie Scott. You can also go out of your way by just a couple of blocks to see the outdoor Chagall "Four Seasons" mosaic, Picasso sculpture, Chicago Theatre district, etc. Just north of the Art Institute is Millennium Park, which is worth a couple of hours.

You might like the AIA Guide to Chicago if you are interested in art and architecture.