Is Kihei safe and clean?

Jan 18th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Is Kihei safe and clean?

Just read a scathing review of the ManaKai hotel on tripadvisor.com and the reviewer said that Kihei itself was dirty, dangerous and not worth the trip. True?
Jan 18th, 2007, 12:11 PM

We were there 2 years ago in a condo. Clean, very, safe, it certainly seemed to be. Is the review of the hotel? I didn't read it.
Jan 18th, 2007, 12:13 PM

We have stayed at condos in Kehei many times and never had a problem. I don't know that it is anymore "unsafe" than any other tourist town. I am sure crimes of opportunity take place at any beach etc if you leave valuables around or doors unlocked if you go out. I wouldn't let the review scare me off. I am not familiar with the ManaKai so don't know if it is clean or not so can't comment on that.
Jan 18th, 2007, 12:40 PM

sounds like sour grapes. Kihei is fine.
Jan 18th, 2007, 01:12 PM

GREAT place to stay!
Jan 18th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Out of many reviews, this was the only one that just hated the hotel and Kihei. Most of the other 72 reviews seemed to like it. You should wonder why this one review is so "off".

Kihei is fine. I have friends who live there, by choice, and while not a resort area, it is a normal community.
Jan 18th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Very nice area, especially the southern end. Terrific beaches from the 3 Kams to Keawakapu. Numerous shops, restaurants, merchants. It's safe.

I stayed at the Mana Kai for free in 1992 and would not return at the same price. Saw it again last in Nov. 2003. It's a hybrid: part condo, part hotel. As a hotel, I'd rate it 3 stars. As a condo, 2 1/2 (small rooms, little light). It does have great views of Molokini, Kahoolawe, Haleakala and the tip of Lana`i. It's also on a beach, Keawakapu, that has very good snorkeling.

Kihei has the vibrancy and diversity of a beach town that grew spontaneously. It's not gleaming and pristine, like Wailea; but it's not near dirty by a long shot.
Jan 18th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for these great responses! It's good to get these assurances. I think you're right, it's probably sour grapes.