Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Activities (w/kids) near Chicago's Union Station

Jul 3rd, 2009, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi- I'll soon be traveling to Chicago, with a 3.5 hour time span between when we arrive by Amtrak at Union Station and need to get to O'Hare airport. (arrive Amtrak 10:30 a.m; arrive O'Hare 2:00 p.m) Not sure if it's enough time to see any real sights, but am wondering about "diversions" near Union Station or within reasonable bus/train travel time. Any kid-friendly restaurants, parks, or places to release some energy " (even a fast-food restaurant with a "play-land"?) I'd love to visit the zoo, but imagine it's too much of a crunch....I at least want to have some kind of "game plan" for my 3-year-old.

Any input appreciated!

Shelly
Jul 4th, 2009, 05:31 AM

If you need to be at O'Hare no later than 2 pm, then you actually only have ~2.5 hours. It takes ~1 hour from downtown to the airport by train. It may/may not be quicker by taxi but I would still plan on leaving downtown by 1 pm.

Sears Tower Observatory - only couple of blocks away from Union Station. If it's a clear, sunny day, that would be my first option. The observatory just opened the enclosed glass "balcony" so you can actually step out on it and look straight down 110 floors. Great views of the city.

or you can just keep on walking east on Monroe St. towards the lake. That's a little more of a walk but you end up right in the middle of Grant Park, Buckingham fountain, Millennium Park, a fun place to explore. You also may consider a cab, at least one way as that will save you some time.

Have a great trip!
Jul 4th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Millenium Park is quite nice and very close. (Just hop on the #151 Sheridan bus which stops at the station. The park is a 5-10 minute ride away.)
Jul 5th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful tips. Sounds do-able, and something we could look forward to rather than just killing time!