Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How much time to walk from Chicago Amtrak Station to Art Institute?

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Taking my first cross country Amtrak trip in a few weeks, with a five hour layover in Chicago. Since there is a baggage check at Union Station, thought I might have a chance to briefly visit the Art Institute.

Tried to Google a search about walking times and distances from the station to the museum, but no luck. Can anyone tell me how long it may take to walk this distance? I noticed that the Metra train is available a few blocks from the station, but if I'm walking in that direction anyway, is it a just more of a hassle? If the train is the better option, which line do you suggest?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 09:15 PM

everything in that area is pretty close. i would guess the walk is not more that 10 minutes. Also in downtown Chicago you can always grab a cab and go just about anywhere for $5.00. Might be a little higher now because of gas prices, but if i'm downtown and the kids don't feel like walking after a long day we always hop a cab. The art institute is a wonderful place and you literally can spend a month in their and have more to see. visit chicagotraveler.com for maps, info, etc. Your trip across country on the train sound like fun. Have a great trip
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:33 AM

What do you consider walking distance? Union Station is west of the Loop, while the Art Institute is about a mile directly east on Michigan Avenue. So I would guess that 20 minutes would be more likely.

Don't bother with Metra--you could get the Blue Line of the CTA at Clinton and take it to Monroe if you wanted to, but the Blue line isn't that close either. And it's underground, so no El experience. Taxi would be better. Or a bus (Maybe on Monroe?).

You might want to double check on the locker situation--last time my parents took Amtrack they weren't in use, and we had to drag their luggage to dinner with us (on a Sunday night, when nothing in the area is open... but I digress).

HTH,
Racy
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Cassandra

Done it often. 20 min. is a good estimate, but unless it's the dead of winter, the walk is quite reasonable; otherwise, a cab is entirely justifiable and not expensive (just don't try to stand in front of one to stop it!).

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:41 AM

It's about a mile between Union Station and the Art Institute. The 151-Sheridan Bus stops on Canal in front of Union Station and can take you to State and Adams. From there, it's 2 blocks east to the Art Institute. The fare is $1.75.

Cabs are also plentiful around the station. However, depending on what time of day you're arriving, it may be as fast or even faster to walk.

For a bus map, check transitchicago.com
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help everyone! Sounds like I should be able to walk it in about 20 minutes then.

Checked the Amtrak site about bag check, and did not see any notices of closure or anything, but after 9-11, they may well have decided not to check bags any longer. Will try to find out, thanks for the tip.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:23 PM

hi! going to chicago and next mth and was thinking of leaving luggage in union station. Were you able to check it out if they still offered the lockers? TQ muchies!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:43 AM

Plan on a cab. The odds that Amtrak will arrive on time and that you will have the entire five hours are not in your favor. Most of the long haul trains arrive at their end destinations considerably past the scheduled arrival time. However, if you do have time to visit the Art Institute, it's definitely worth it.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:00 PM

The Art Institute has a coat and package checkroom, if the one at Union Station is no longer available.

Agree with the 20 minute estimate for the walk. It's a straight shot down either Adams or Jackson Street.