where to stay near Chinatown (San Francisco)

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

where to stay near Chinatown (San Francisco)

Will be spending one day in San Francisco and mainly want to check out Chinatown. Traveling with two small children. Have looked at Hotel Rex, Stanford Court, Hotel Triton and Mark Hopkins Intercontinental? What is best option since we will be busy all afternoon and will basically need a comfortable place to sleep?
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 01:30 PM

There's a Holiday Inn that's quite close.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Has the Holiday Inn re-opened? I thought it was closed for renovations or something. I'd check on that.

Of the hotels you mentioned, the Hotel Triton is probably the best location wise. Stanford Court and the Mark Hopkins are at the top of Nob Hill meaning it would be an all up hill walk for several blocks with two small children. You could do it, but the Hotel Triton is closer to the bottom of the hill with easier (i.e., flatter) access to Grant Street and Chinatown. Another option that would enable you to walk to Chinatown is the Omni. It is in the Financial District, but also a few blocks from Chinatown.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:17 PM

The Holiday Inn just reopened as a Hilton. It's right next to Chinatown. I think it opened last week (I work a block from there). Hotels in the Financial District is a good suggestion. In addition to the Omni, there is a Park Hyatt a few blocks from Chinatown. Also the Hyatt Regency on Market Street isn't too far away.

Have a great time.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

so the Holiday Inn near Chinatown is now a Hilton. What street is located on?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:48 AM

It's not the Hilton, but the Royal Pacific Motor Inn is in Chinatown.At the intersection of Broadway and Columbus the location is excellent.
I've stayed there four times, it's not fancy but clean and safe.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:01 AM

The Obrero on Stockton is a real experience, but shared bathrooms are probably not for small kids.
Your window overlooks the grocers putting out the morning's produce on the sidewalk. truly cool, but rustic. If you want to check out where Asians eat & shop, head towards Clement St. in the Avenues, and hit Japantown too.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:52 AM

I agree, Hotel Triton -- location, location, location.

For Chinese Food - R&G Lounge on Kearny Street -- a 15 minute, but flat walk from Triton.

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:47 AM

Yes the Holiday Inn Financial District on Kearbey Street, next to Chinatown is now a Hilton Hotel. Rates have gone up a lot however.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:00 PM

I used to always stay at the Royal Pacific, too! Isn't it right on the edge of Chinatown and Little Italy? I would stay there with my mom & uncle because we needed to be in Chinatown, and it was totally fine. I'd probably keep staying there except I gotta get to other places nowadays when I go to San Francisco.