Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge mountain cabin question

Old May 5th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To all Fodorites, I would like to solicit your experiences (Both good and bad) about the many cabin and chalet rentals available in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. I am considering renting a cabin there next Jan/Feb for 4 or 5 days and would like to get some opinions ( I know a lot of people consider Gatlinburg the epitomy of tacky so please do not just rant about how you hate gatlinburg.) Thanks.
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:23 AM

I rented there a few years back and my brother frequents the area as he lives somewhat close.
You really can get an amazing cabin for a reasonable rate. The places we've stayed had pool tables, fireplaces, big srcreen TVs and stereos, indoor and outdoor jacuzzis, fully stocked kitchens (dishes and basics), and everything was very well maintained. We payed $200 per night for a 3 bedroom on New Year's eve and my brother pays about $120/night for his which is 2br.

In my opinion, renting a cabin there is the *only* way to go.
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Brutforce

I'll reserve my opinion & agree w/Blondie also. Is there a reason why ? Gatlinburg, I mean ? If you can go elsewhere, I will certainly provide some other options. Blowing Rock, Ashville, Grandfather Mt., Chimney Rock......

Old May 5th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Brutforce

AshEville - Sorry Austin..

Old May 5th, 2003, 11:57 AM
iceeu2

The cabins in this area are numerous, and they just keep building. You will be able to get really good rates during January and February at just about any of the places.
A few of my favorite cabin rentals are oakhavenresort.com...A little further out, but these cabins are more beautiful than the photos.

Also hidden mountain resorts (not sure of their web site address)

and aunt bugs.

If you go to gatlinburg.com.....they have really great links for lodging.
There's also lots of time shares in the area and the rates are really good at them during the time of year you are going.

Our timeshare is thru Bluegreen. You can do a search at bluegreenonline.com..the resorts there are Laurel Crest Resort in Pigeon Forge and Mountain Loft Resort in Gatlinburg.

Have fun, we are headed up there over the Memorial Day Weekend....and now that you mentioned it, may just go this weekend also.

Old May 5th, 2003, 11:57 AM

The cabin that you rent will probably not be right in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. Ours was just outside of town with beautiful natural surroundings. We were right in between Gat. and PF and very near to the Smokey Mtn National Park, which is where we spent a great deal of time. Hiking, driving, picnicing, etc. We also did the Dollywood theme park, which was very lovely. We rented from mountainvalleyproperties.com and stayed at Apple of My Eye. Good luck and have fun!
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:07 PM

We used Stony Brook Lodging www.stonybrooklodging.com

We stayed in Sunset View which was on top of a mountain with a view over the valley between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge (great location). This was a log cabin with 1800 sq ft, two bedrooms, huge jacuzzi tub indoors, hot tub outdoors, two baths, rec room, washer/dryer, fireplace (with wood), TV/VCR, porch with porch swing.
We paid around $135 in mid March.
Loved it and will do it again.

Gatlinburg isn't so bad, especially the time of year you are going. The crowds are gone and the town is easier to park and get around in. It's also a great time to hike in the park.

I agree with Blondie--it's the only way to go.
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. One reason that I am looking at Gatlinburg is that it is halfway between Chicago and Orlando, where parties will be traveling from. One question, How accessible are some of the mountaintop cabins if there is a lot of snow?? Will it be difficult to reach them.
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:55 PM
iceeu2

If it is snowy and icey, yes, it will be difficult to reach some of these places.

Old May 5th, 2003, 01:20 PM

Gatlinburg RealEstate...http://www.gatlinburgchalets.com/
The chalet was called Stargazer that my daughter stayed at.

www.smokymtncabins.com
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:38 PM

gmoney, not much happening in the months of Jan, Feb & March. Dollywood is also closed those months. Maybe you are planning on skiing? Or you could be like me, I live in the Smokies and that time of year can be relaxing, serene and beautiful. Nothing like a warm fire going, good company, and a fresh snowfall outside! Also until you have experienced jumping in a hot tub in the middle of winter, well words can't describe it. You'll have fun.
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

smokeyboy, Thanks that is what I wanted to hear. I am coming from Orlando, so the last thing I want are crowds and a theme park. I want to ski and experience the serenity of a smoky mountain winter. What you describe sounds perfect with the fire and the hot tub, Once again my biggest concern is the road conditions at that time of year. Thanks again for your responses.
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:09 AM

We have rented cabins numerous times. I use Jackson Mountain Homes often. They are honest about the properties and provide pictures of the cabins. I have specific needs- such as non0smoking, outside hot tub, privacy, etc and they have always found me a perfect cabin. http://www.jacksonmtn.com/
The other company I like is Wildflower Mountain rentals. We loved the Mountain Laurel cabin- completely private with awesome hot tub and a bedroom "loft" that was so romantic!http://www.gocabins.com/Cabins/cabins.htm
Yes, Gatlinburg has it's tackiness, but it's a lot of fun. Don't miss driving to Cade's Cove- it's very cool.Also, take the route which brings you in from the east of Gatlinburg and avoid going through pigeon Forge. The traffic is terrible, and it's one stop light after another.