Gatlinburg - How to Choose a Cabin?

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Gatlinburg - How to Choose a Cabin?

My family is planning a trip to Gatlinburg in April '08. I am overwhelmed by the choices of places to stay. We want to stay in a cabin but even the number of cabins is crazy. We will have several people, the youngest is 8, my parents are in their 70's. Has anyone had a bad experience with a cabin, and how did you choose? Thanks!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM

http://www.oakhavenresort.com/

Ive stayed in quite a few cabins in the Gatlinburg area - never had any unfortunate surprises ... just minor things. But if you access Oak Haven Resorts via the website provided ... you'll find lots of information and definitely a home large enough for all of you! I stayed in one this past April, and my friends that went with us have stayed there for years. These homes are in a beautiful neighborhood-like setting. The only drawback - for some - is you must drive into Gatlinburg. These are not in the thick of things - but on the contrary - are very relaxing and not a far drive at all! Good luck shopping - have fun!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Growing up our family always stayed in Gatlinburg. Now our family prefers to stay in the less congested side of the mountains in Wears Valley--still only 1/2 hr from all the action. Check out covemountain.com Largest rental agency in Wears Valley with great selection. Also, levelheaded had a great idea for the resort being that you have a range of ages to please. I've heard they have a game room & pool which will come in handy for the kids
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 01:49 PM

We rented through Parkside Cabin Rentals (parksidecabinrentals.com) last summer for a long weekend with a few couples and me. (And yet I still had fun. ) I wasn't the one who actually dealt with the rental, but our cabin was great and plenty big for all of us, and I didn't hear about any problems with the staff or anything. Most of the companies have a selection of cabins from small "honeymoon" types to really big party-size cabins (our whole high school youth group stayed in one once - 35-40 people). So I'd just get recommendations for companies, and check with the good ones on the cabin sizes.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 10:22 PM

I can HIGHLY recommend "BEAR PAUSE"
Can be rented through http://www.sunsetcottage.com

The cabin has 2 bedrooms, but also a loft with a bed

The view is AMAZING. I love the view from the loft of the Smoky Mountains.

It is several minutes drive off parkway and so close to Pigeon Forge and Downtown Gatlinburg

Usually when we go there, we just buy groceries and hang out because it's a wonderful cabin.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:32 AM

I highly recommend Oak Haven Resorts. We stayed in a larger cabin with three other families - lots of kids and it was just beautiful. Everyone had plenty of private space and the place was completely furnished with a large kitchen. You can have housekeeping everyday. The website has photos of each property.
Have fun!