Gateways close to NYC

Search

Gateways close to NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gateways close to NYC

My wife, my 7-years- daughter and I will be 6 days in NYC and will have and extra 5 days that I would like to enjoying in a more relaxing place. Our vacation time goes from June 29 til July 10. I would like to receive any suggestion from you?. I am wondering places in a kind of resort, scenic, relaxing and good enough for a 7 years girl.

I appreciate your hel, and any sugestion is welcome for me. thank you.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:33 PM

Hi Saldarj, welcome to Fodors! I have to warn you that that time of year is very popular for what you're looking for. July 4th is one of the biggest holidays of the year; since it's in the middle of the week this year, it's even more likely that NYC residents would take the entire week off to go to the beach or mountains.

That said, for beaches, look at the south shore of Long Island or the New Jersey Shore. If you'd like to be near the water but not necessarily sunbathing, the north shore of Long Island might have some opportunities. I'd also recommend looking north of the city: about a 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive will put you in the Catskill mountains and/or the Hudson River. A similar drive west will put you in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania.

If you stay in NYC, there is a large fireworks display every year on the Fourth of July, as well as other events for the Independence Day holiday.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:24 PM

There are many resort areas near NYC - I'm presuming that you don;t mean an individual all-inclusie resor t- which you really don;t find in the NY area. There are a couple of places that are self-contained resorts - like Mohonk Mountain House (which I think is very overrated and overpriced for what they provide). And I think a child would probably prefer a beach.

The problem is that due to the holiday many places may already be full and many will not let for only a few nights - but will want someone to take a full week. Also, be preared to rent a car for any of these areas - esp on the holiday public transit is extremely limited - and simply not possible in many areas.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi ggreen, very kind of you and for your quick response. I understand that is going to be hard to get something becouse th is a demanded week. I appreciate what places you can us in those locations? .

I was thinking on going a couple of days to Washington DC , but I am afraid the girl could get tired of walking and getting in and out of buses and the hot weather. As a matter of fact we are flighing from Colombia to N Y C, to visit the city and the American Girl Store.

Best regards
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi nytraveler, thanks for your advise; I plan to rent a car to ride to those places and be free to move. What about to go toward the north? I am trying to get to somewhere more scenic, american and relaxing than a crowded city.

Regards
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi, to put in other words, what is the best recommendation to complement 5 days in NYC, I am willing to rent a car and drive?. Thanks
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:46 PM

Madison Beach Hotel-Madison, CT
Candlewood Lake-New MIlford, Ct, New Fairfield Ct, Danbury CT area
Stonington Inn, CT.
Cooperstown, NY
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:55 PM

Ah, from Colombia! Well then the heat of July might not bother you, though our humidity is worse than yours. (I have such a good friend here in NYC from Bogota, but have yet to visit your country.)

And you're coming here for the American Girl Store. Wow, what a gift for the girl! She must be so excited!!

I'm not sure I can speak specifically about any one place, but small towns in the northeast can be scenic, relaxing - and very American in an authentic way. This may be a little corny, but what I remember from when I was a kid is rocking chairs on porches, lemonade, potato salad, American flags and heartfelt local parades. (My hometown still puts on a great one.)

One thing you could do as I mentioned is head north into New York State, to famous Woodstock or nearby in the Catskill mountains. Phoenicia is a town I've visited during ski season, and also as a stopover when camping in the area...

Another would be also in the mountains, to go to southern Vermont (about 5 hours drive from NYC), such as the city of Brattleboro or the small towns northwest of there along Route 30. Western Massachusetts is similar, the small towns in and around where Tanglewood is (the summer location for the Boston Symphony).
http://www.bso.org/Home

The thing about being inland is that the mountains will make it a little cooler, but they're not very tall mountains so not a lot of altitude for cooling off. At the coast you'll have the sea breeze, but I'm really not convinced you'll get a good availability at this late date!

You also could look somewhere on the coastline farther away from the city, like eastern CT; RI; or southeastern MA. It's a 4-hour drive to the coastal area just below Cape Cod, which IMO is nicer than the former and you don't have to deal with the traffic on/off the peninsula. I'm not sure about beach access, though. However for example as a sort of "worst case scenario", you could stay closer to the interstate/away from the beach at a chain hotel in Westport or Dartmouth, MA and drive a few miles to Horseneck State Beach. Make other day trips from there...

If one of these scenarios appeals more than another, I can try to dig up more details and give you better info.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi, to put in other words, what is the best recommendation to complement 5 days in NYC, I am willing to rent a car and drive?. Thanks
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:59 AM

If you want to head north Cape Cod will likely be a little cooler and has a lot of beach - both ocean and bay - including a large national seashore. But - with the holiday week, not sure what will be available.

If you want to go to Long Island their are a bunch of low-rise (2 stories) condo colonies in Amagansett (after the Hamptons but before Montauk) that are right on the beach and have pools and I think some tennis courts. Several towns to vist form work a day Montauk through middle class areas through the multi-million dollar estates of the Hamptons. There is a fishing dock in Montauak and may well be whale-watching expeditions, some pretty town squaes, interesting old houses and a few small and accessible museums. Lots of good places to eat from the basic to the ultra trendy. And a small aquarium in Riverhead. Lots of other things a kid would want from mini-golf to visiting the Giant Duck.

But again, not sure who would have availability. If yuo google Amagansett resorts or hotels or apartments you should get a complete list.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:11 AM

No one can decide what is "the best recommendation" except you, since you know yourself and your family!

There is a lot to access with NYC as a starting point: a lot of different geography, things to do, and price ranges.

I suggested Woodstock and Phoenicia, NY; the Poconos; Brattleboro, VT; Tanglewood, MA, and southeastern MA. nytraveler mentioned Mohonk Mountain house and recommended Cape Cod, MA, and Amagansett, NY. 330east gave a list too. You could also look at Mystic, CT, and Newport, RI.

Do a search on these places or check them out in Fodor's Destinations, on Trip Advisor, etc. Then let us know which appeal more or less and we can further assist you from there. But since each person has their preferences, including you, I'm not sure it's going to help to continue to through names at you without some feedback from you on the ones we've already mentioned.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:59 AM

Lake George NY is always popular with kids
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

I am very glad with your sugesstions, they seem very interesting, I am going to consider them seriously.. Thanks to all of you with you comments.. Best regards
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:40 PM

I would consider spending a full week in NYC, if not more. You could take day trips to the beaches on Long Island or the Jersey Shore -- there are plenty within an hour's train ride. You could do like a week in the city and three or four days on the Island or Jersey Shore or in the Catskills/Adirondacks. Cape Cod might be a good option. Another thought: Go from NY to Florida and then go home from there. It'll be hot and humid, but I'm guessing that won't phase you.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:43 PM

Since you're open to renting a car...what about heading to Pennsylvania? The Amish country is very interesting and there's Dutch Wonderland or Hershey Park (a little further away from Lancaster) if your daughter likes amusement parks.