Best route to Yellowstone from So Cal

Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best route to Yellowstone from So Cal

Hi, we're heading to YP in July.

We will be taking I-15 all the way to SLC, then we have to make a decision.

I am undecided whether to drive in through south gate (Jackson, Grand Tetons) or up through West Yellowstone.

It looks like the approx same driving time so I'm leaning towards the southern route; I assume there will be more to see...

Any comments/experiences with this?

Thanks
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:41 AM

They are both scenic - the route through the Tetons maybe a little more so. The route to West Yellowstone will probably be a little faster. Either is great.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:42 AM

Have never done the western route, but the southern route past the Tetons is spectacular. Try to hit Jackson Lodge in the morning for breakfast. The view of the mountains from the terrace is unbelievable.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:49 AM

Steve,

I live in Park City, so I've driven up to Jackson/Yellowstone everyway possible. From my home the route east thru Evanston and north on 89 is the fastest, least traffic and very scenic.

I think the MOST scenic is up I-15, east at Brigham City,up thru Logan Canyon and long the west side of Bear Lake. After Bear Lake you join up with the rest of 89 to Jackson, passing thru the gorgeous Star Valley. This is the slowest route however.

Up I15 to W. Yellowstone is fast, but not nearly as scenic as going thru GTNP.

Why not go up to W. Yellowstone and back thru GTNP and Jackson? Surely you intend to spend time at both? You can't go to Yellowstone and skip the Tetons!

More details?
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:35 AM

Unless I'm in a real hurry I much prefer the route suggested by Dayle via Logan, Bear Lake and Star Valley...love it. Driven it many times, always gorgeous.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:18 PM

My route from home takes me thru the sagebrush flats before joining up to the pass into Star Valley and on. I feel like I get the best of both worlds. On my last drive up, I saw so many pronghorns! Far more than ever before. Perhaps it was the late spring timeframe.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi all, thanks for your help. We are making a big loop so have to pick one route to YP. Probably will take Dayle's route.

After Yellowstone, we are heading to Wisconsin, then Northern Illinois, then back via I-70 / I-80

Thanks
Steve
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM

So Steve,

Since this is one way for you -

I-15 to Brigham City northeast to Logan
Up Logan Canyon and along the west side of Bear Lake - be SURE to stop for fresh Bear Lake raspberries or a respberry shake!

Continue on to link up with Wyo 89 thru Star Valley, east at Alpine thru the Hoback Junction along the Snake River.

Into the town of Jackson, take a break at least if you aren't staying. Have an ice cream in the square with the famous elk antler arches.

Up through GTNP, stop at all the pullouts and take lots of pictures.

Then on up to the south entrance of Yellowstone.

Where are you staying?
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi Dayle,

The first night we are staying in Ogden - kind of the big drive day - Google says its 11 hours, that might be a bit much for us to handle

Second day we are (after this discussion) planning on staying in Jackson - I reserved a hotel room this morning.

Then on to YP - we have camping reservations in Canyon Village

Cheers
Steve