Galveston to New Orleans Tips...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are flying in to Houston on November 10th and would will be spending a night or two in Galveston before heading over to New Orleans to catch a cruise. Our cruise leaves on the 15th, so we have some time to play with date and destinations.
We're interested in historic B&B or hotels, and also found a few "swamp tours" where we could stay in a cabin or houseboat.
I'm interested in recommendations for lodging in Galveston, and suggestions for interesting places to stay/things to do on the way to New Orleans. Also, a recommendation for lodging in New Orleans, in french quarter, as well as a good jazz venue.
Any suggestions for the trip will be appreciated!
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM

There are several nice places in Galveston. Harbor House is near the Strand, Galveston's historical area, with shops and restaurants.

http://www.galveston.com/harborhouse/

Also, the Tremont House is in the Strand and is an historic Galveston hotel:

http://www.galveston.com/tremont/

If you want to stay on the Seawall, then the Galvez, built in 1911, is one of the better hotels:

http://www.galveston.com/hotelgalvez/

The Moody Gardens Hotel is adjacent to Moody Gardens. It's a new hotel:

http://www.galveston.com/moodygardenshotel/
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 06:44 AM

On the way to New Orleans, drive on US 90 instead of I-10 and stop at Avery Island and tour the Tabasco factory and the Jungle Gardens. Another option is to see some plantations on the way to New Orleans.

Lodging depends on your preferences and budget. What are you willing to spend?
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

bkluvsNola -
Not as concerned about cost - though we'd like to economize where we can. We're budgeting $150/night so less expensive lodging in one place will give us better lodging in another.

bettyk - I've looks at both tremont house and galvez. Some reviews on Galvez negative- rooms very small? I like the Tremont, but husband would prefer to stay on the seawall or nearer the beach... I'm arguing the Strand is close enough and beautifully historic (from what I remember) -- your advice?
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 05:14 PM

If your husband want beach, then stay on the Seawall. The Strand is near the water, BUT not a beach. It's Galveston Harbor and that's where the cruise boats, fishing and shipping boats come in. It's a fun place to spend some time but maybe you could still get a cab down to the Strand from the Seawall to visit the shops, restaurants, etc.

Most of the recent reviews about the Galvez on TripAdvisor seemed positive. Since I live near Galveston, I havent' stayed at many of the hotels in Galveston. It isn't ON the beach however, but across the street like many of the beachfront hotels.