Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best National Parks for young family this Christmas/New Years?

Old Oct 7th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before having our son, one of the best decisions my husband and I ever made was to blow off family visits and take a trip to Grand Canyon and Zion National Parks during the time he had off between Christmas and New Year's. Our son is now two and a half and I'm itching to escape suburbia for some high quality big nature this winter break. Grand Canyon is a ridiculous choice with a curious toddler, but I am considering Zion, although I know it would be cold. I would love to go to Yosemite, but have never been there in winter. Not to mention I would love to go to a park I haven't visited yet.

Does anyone have any picks for:
a) best National Parks to visit in winter (specifically end of Dec, early Jan)?
b) best National Parks to visit with toddlers?

Our son is an excellent traveler and we have successfully convinced him that being outside is the best place to be, but since we are in Virginia, his experience with snow and cold is more limited than some.

I also realize that a lot of places fill up months if not years in advance, but I have confidence that we can make lodging work (for our GC and Zion trip we actually confirmed lodging only a few days ahead of time based on others' cancellations), so suggest away!

Thanks in advance,
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 07:16 PM

The GC and Yosemite are places for which it is ALWAYS a good time to visit. For each, however, winter is (for most people) not the optimal time to visit.

The only NP's for which winter is the best time to visit are those in Florida: Everglades, Biscayne, and Dry Tortugas. Unfortunately, this is also a time when Florida is at its most crowded.

Parks in the desert southwest are perfectly fine in winter: Joshua Tree, Saguaro, Death Valley, Organ Pipe NM. Again, some may be crowded -- Las Vegas, for instance, will be jammed at this time.

So your choices are:
1) a great park in less than optimal weather.
2) a good park in optimal weather but bad crowds.
3) a good park in fine weather but higher crowds.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 07:43 PM

If you are OK with cold and maybe snow, Yosemite Valley in the winter is superb. Death Valley is nice, may be crowded, because mid-winter is prime time there. A bit more isolated, Arches Nat. Park near Moab, UT is another possibility. For rain, fog, big trees and the ocean, how about Redwoods Nat. Park in California or the opposite coast, Capte Hatteras Nat. Seashore.
Yosemite would always be my first choice!
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 03:43 AM

Death Valley is great and will not be that crowded. We were there over Christmas in 07. It is a huge park.

Big Bend and Saguaro are good in winter.

Arches might be good, but could be cold. There is a little hill(actually tall) just outside the park that sometimes kids roll down the red sand. Don't know if they do this in the winter or not. Arches is one of my favorite spots. www.deserthighlights.com offers fantastic tours, but I don't think a 3 year old could do this.

I haven't been to Yosemite in winter, but have been to Sequoia. Absolutely awesome! They have several places that they call snow-play areas. Plus the big trees in the winter are really a site to see as well. You can rent or buy a sled and play in the snow. Interestingly, it seemed mainly locals who were at the play areas. Wuksachi Lodge would be the place to stay. You would certainly want to have tire chains or a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

I would save Zion for warmer weather. You would definately want to take your sone thru "The Narrows". you will get wet, so you need to wait for warm weather. Not seeing "the narrows" would be like not seeing Mickey Mouse in Disneyland in my opinion.

Then of course, florida, as someone mentioned. Biscayne, Dry Torugas, and Everglades

We are going to Yellowstone next winter (2010). It looks as good in the winter as the summer, just totally different.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 04:12 AM

You could do a loop through White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, Guadalupe Mt. and maybe Big Bend if cold weather is a problem they should not be too bad. Otherwise, go to Yellowstone.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 04:26 AM

I thought of mentioning Carlsbad, but bats aren't there in the winter. Still would be good though.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 05:51 AM

Yosemite is magical in winter. it's quiet, uncrowded and beautiful when snow covered. Lots of short walks in this park and Badger Pass for skiing, tubing or cross country skiing is nearby. If you cant find lodging right in the park, the Tenaya Lodge at Fish Camp would be a good base.
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the ideas! No decision yet, but all great suggestions...