Search

Ft. Lauderdale - Jungle Queen & Safari

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 08:09 AM
Oui
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ft. Lauderdale - Jungle Queen & Safari

We're visiting Ft. L the end of Feb with our 4 children (5-14yr). Sounds like the Jungle boat tour and the Lion Country Safari are 2 of the top attractions.

They look a little pricey and we're looking for feedback on whether they're worth it.

Any other "don't miss" attractions for families?
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 01:37 PM

When we lived in FtL (years ago), our visitors always enjoyed doing the Jungle Queen trip. It was nothing amazing, but it was fun. Lion Country was not such a big deal (though that depends on your interests, of course). We used to enjoy having lunch at one of the restaraunts along the intracoastal waterway and watching the boat traffic. Something fun for the kids was to go over by the power plant water discharge by the harbor and feed the fish; lots of interesting colerfull fish were attracted by the warm water.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 08:11 PM

I believe they fenced off the power plant area because of the manatees, so you probably can't do that anymore, besides, it's in Port Everglades and security is tight.

The Jungle Queen is good, wholesome entertainment and it will keep the kids busy while Mom and Dad look at all the beautiful houses along the waterway. I don't know how much they charge, but consider it dinner AND entertainment.

I was at Lion Country Safari a couple years ago and thought it was nice. I took a van full of children and all my windows needed some major cleaning afterward...LOL!! If you have the time, I'd suggest taking it in.

There's always the BEACH for the kids and the adults might like it, too!

If you want to see something different, head due west of Ft. Lauderdale to the Everglades and take in an airboat tour, it's not my cup of tea, but most people find it interesting. I guess because I grew up west of Ft. Lauderdale, the swamps and gators don't give me much of a thrill.

If you want to take the family for a neat treat, head south on US 1/Federal Hwy. to Dania and stop at Jaxson's Ice Cream Parlor.... they have the best ice cream! Just don't go on a day when you plan on having a big lunch or dinner, because the sundaes are HUGE! You might want to get a couple and split them! This place has been around for close to 50 years, if not longer! You don't stay in business that long if you aren't GOOD! No, I don't have any financial interest in the place, it's just a nice excursion. Afterwards, you can walk off the calories at Hollywood's Broadwalk along the beach. Just take Sheridan Street east until it dead ends and turn right. Park in any metered space and take a nice stroll along the beach. They closed off the road years ago and made it a walkway with shops on one side and beach on the other. People ride bikes, rollerblade, etc. And it's free (except for parking.)

HAVE A GREAT TIME IN MY HOME TOWN!

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:35 AM

Have taken my kids(7 & 3) To lion country safari for years, and they love it. It is at least a half day commitment. There is the drive through portion, then the part with the rides. There is usually a discount coupon on their website. last time we were there we went down to Laxahathci( I dont know exact spelling) about 20 minutes south of lion country and did an airboat swamp buggy ride to see the aligators and marine life. Tons of fun. For the younger kids, butterfly world is great. One of the best children's museums I have ever been to is in Fort lauderdale(good for 10 and under) There is also a water park in Fort Lauderdale(dont remember the name, right off of 95) and tons of mini golf
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:36 PM
jd

The Jungle Queen is a very enjoyable trip, and the kids will like that it stops at an Indian village, where they can watch an alligator show. One word of caution-do not take the dinner cruise-it is all elderly people,didn't see any kids.
Jaxsons is geat for icecream! Also, for a rainy day, there is the childrens discovery museum and an imax theatre.
We always enjoyed Lion Country when the kids were younger-it takes about an hour from Ft.L.
Another place we enjoyed was Flamingo Gardens.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:00 PM

Butterfly World in Coral Springs (north west of Ft. Lauderdale but not far) can also be fun for kids. It is not a mega attraction like the Jungle Queen or Lion Country Safari. Butterfly World is good for about an hour. Then you can head for the beach--the best attraction in Ft. Lauderdale anyway.