Search

Ft Lauderdale/Pompano Beach Children Activities Please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ft Lauderdale/Pompano Beach Children Activities Please

hello

My children (ages 3 and 7) will be visiting Pompano Beach next month. Can you please recommend children activities that are in the area.

Thank you.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:18 AM

Does the Goodyear Blimp still moor in Pompano? The kids might like to see that, although I don't think you can get very close to it.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:51 AM

there's a really cool nature preserve in Del Ray Beach or Boyton Beach, on Yamati Drive (I think that's the name). Its a path/boardwalk you walk thru, about 1 or so miles, lots of birds, alligators, etc to scout for. Bring a camera, and it's free!

there is a beautiful Japanese Garden nearby, I think called Muragami Gardens. The namesake was a famous farmer in the area and the gardens are beautiful. My kids would have killed me if I took them there (their idea of fun is sports round the clock), but it would certainly be of interest to kids who love art musuems, etc.

My kids always liked the flea markets when they were younger (they still like them now that they're older) Theres one I think called the Sample Flea Market (on Sample Drive?) that may have a circus theme. when I've gone to that flea market, I've also seen signs for a butterfly or bird conservatory, which could be interesting.

Another "always visit" is a local orange grove to get fresh juice and oranges (and samples of all sorts of goodies). We go to Bloods in Del Ray Beach because its the closest to grandpa, but I"m sure other posters could direct you to some closer to where you'll be.

There is a great playground in a park, I believe in Boca Raton, which hopefully other posters will recall and provide details for. It's been too long to remember.

I always check the local papers when I'm visiting and always find stuff to do. there are always art shows and festivals going on that usually have child friendly things to do.

Have a fun trip.

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:46 AM

The Museum of Discovery and Science in downtown Ft. Lauderdale is fun for kids and good museum. We took my little cousin there and she liked it. I thought it was fun too. There's also an Imax theater there.

You can take water taxis for a cheap way to ride on the Intercoastal and the New River. There's also the Jungle Queen, but I haven't been on this since I was little.

Not sure if this would be fun for kids, but there's the Bonnet House on A1A and Sunrise Blvd. in Ft. Laud., which is an old estate with monkeys on the property. There's also the Stranahan House in downtown Ft. Laud, which is one of the first houses in the Ft. Laud. It's on the New River.

There's Metrozoo in south Miami, which is a hike for you since you'll be in Pompano. It's probably 45 minutes away. There's Palm Beach Zoo and Lion Country Safari in West Palm, which is about 25 minutes away.

Rachel mentioned Morikami Gardens in Delray. These are nice too.

2 websites that might be helpful:
http://www.sunny.org (visitors bureau)
http://www.sun-sentinel.com (newspaper)

I'll try to think of more.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 01:27 PM

We have been visiting grandmom in Pompano since my kids were 2 and 4 years old (now teenagers).We often repeated activities from year to year but here were their favorites:

Lion Country Safari
Miami Zoo or any zoo
walk on pier in Ft Lauderdale
boat ride through Everglades
Butterfly world
and, last but not least, the flea Markets

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Sawgrass Mills apparently has a place called Wanna Do city (or something like that) where children can dress up and "be" whoever they wish to be ...a doctor, a firefighter, etc. Not sure of the ages but yours may fit right in.

I am thiniking of taking my 4 year-old and 8 year-old there in March.

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Lion Country Safari - I think it is in West Palm Beach and I know it is somewhat inland. One of those places where you stay in your car and drive thru various "habitats" - real live big animals wandering around. We were there once and a giraffe kept trying to poke his head in our car window. At the end there is a walk-around zoo exhibit type area.