Dinner in Fredericksburg

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dinner in Fredericksburg

Two couples are planning a day trip to Fredericksburg. Any suggestions for a fun/nice place for dinner after a day of shopping?
Anyone been to the Herb Farm?
Have heard Lincoln Steet Wine Bar is great...just a bar or dining also?
Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:48 PM
jcb

I love the Lincoln Street Wine Bar!!! To my knowledge, they just serve appetizer type items (which are yummy). Can't comment on dinner places b/c we just go to Lincoln Street and munch.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM

twobees,

Are you speaking of Fredericksburg, Texas? If so, a friend of mine is an owner of the Herb Farm.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Fredericksburg, Texas
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Good appetizers at Lincoln St. We also like Hilltop Cafe http://www.hilltopcafe.com/
although it is a little ways outside of town. Will you be there for lunch as well?
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

We'll be there around noon, but won't don't plan on stopping for lunch. We'll probably just snack along the way. Has anyone eaten at The Peachtree? I was there for lunch a few years ago, it was good,but crowded. How about dinner?
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:14 PM

Never had dinner at the Peachtree, but enjoy their lunch. It seems to always be crowded. We enjoy the herb farm, been there a couple of times as well.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:27 PM

Fredericksburg's history goes back to its German roots. Thus, there are a number of German eateries for various types of schnitzel, wurst, strudel and of course beer, including a couple biergartens with music!

A favorite German restaurant of ours is Friedhelm's Bavarian Inn, just on the outskirts of town on the main street. Real popular. Delicious jagerschnitzel -- yum yum!

The Peach Tree Inn is a tea room, serving quiche, burgers, soup, salad, etc. Good blackberry or peach cobbler in season!

The "flavor" of Fredericksburg has changed in recent years. Gone are a number of the mom and pop shops, replaced by the chains such as Thomas Kinkade paintings and Starbucks. Dan Rather's daughter has a bakery ("Rather Fine Bakery"), and the five & dime store is always fun to go through. Lots of knick-knacks, jewelry, a Christmas shop. My favorite store is the one that sells all the different kinds of sauces, jams, and marinades - lots of sampling!

Fredericksburg is a cute little town, especially busy during wildflower season when the busloads of tourists swam the hills looking for our bluebonnets!

Oh, if you're going on a Sunday, just make a note that some places will be closed. So you might want to call ahead.

Happy travels!