Things to do in Houston with a 2 yo

Old Jun 15th, 2003, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Things to do in Houston with a 2 yo

I was born in Houston, and have been there to visit family every year of my life, but I just wondering what the locals did with their little ones. I know the science museum (I used to love that!) and the zoo, anything I don't know about that's fun for a toddler? Oh, do they still have the place with the pony rides? I think it was out on Westheimer. The humane society probably shut it down.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 08:30 AM

I've been gone for 6 years now, but our kids used to love the Children's Museum, near the zoo, etc. They also liked Bayou Bend, for the big lawns and pretty flowers.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 09:39 AM

The Children's Museum is great!! Not only is it very hands on but its air conditioned. Of course there's always Six Flags which has a waterpark also. If you want to drive alittle further, go to Galveston's Moody Gardens. It has an IMAX theater, rain forest, and much more.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 01:58 AM

You know i think the pony rides are on south main, and i think they may still be there. Look it up in the yellow pages ( online ). I second moody gardens they also have a beach ( very calm water ) that is very nice. And NASA has a very large theme park for kids ( mostly for older kids ) but might be worth the effort,look it up on the internet also to see if ok for toddlers. Third there is a new restaurant called the Aquarium downtown with rides thru a aquarium filled with fish , i have not been yet but have heard from some who have that it was real nice , and little ones liked it. OH as far as galveston if you go , make sure and stop by the shrimp boat docks , you might have to carry the toddler but all kids love the boats , and there is a nice board walk ( concrete actually ) that might have a cruise ship docked. nick
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 10:24 AM

You might want to check out "Old MacDonald's Farm" on 1960 in Humble. Also, I recall an animal safari park on the south side of town. Don't forget to take plenty of water!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for such great ideas. S. Main sounds right, I'm sure my Dad will know. I have pics of my Dad riding the ponies there when he was a child, and me riding later, and I thought it would be kind of neat to let my daughter ride, too. Thanks
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 12:14 PM

Roxanne, you may want to reconsider a visit to Houston with your child. Apparently the air has gotten so bad that the mothers that remain in that area have banded together to fight the problem.

http://www.mothersforcleanair.org/
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Tiiimeisonmyside

The butterfly museum near Rice University.

Old Jul 6th, 2003, 11:58 AM

I have a four year old and two year old, and both love the Children's Museum. Hermann Park has really cleaned up since I was a kid growing up here, and my kids enjoy the playground area, where there's also a "water" park. My son loves the train at the zoo. We also spend time at the Galleria - I window shop, the kids watch the ice skaters, etc. For eating, Collina's is a very kid friendly Italian restaurant - we go to the one on the Heights. It's dry, so bring your own bottle of wine. Lupe Tortilla (one on 59 and one on I10 towards Katy) is great for the kids, but long waits! Finally, if the Astros are in town, you can get fairly inexpensive tickets, and the stadium is air conditioned.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!