Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

From Jackson - Jackson Lake Lodge: Planned too much???

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

The Griswalds are off to a Western Vacation!

Am I being realistic by trying to do the following in 1 day:

1. Snow King Resort Chairlift Ride & Alpine Slide in Jackson, WY. At $75 for the 4 of us, I'm wondering if it's worth the money, but most of all the time. About how long would it take to do both things?

2. Teton Park Road including Jenny Lake roundtrip shuttle w/ hike to Hidden Falls & Inspiration Point, Signal Mountain as well as the various turn-outs along the way.

3. 3-5 PM trail ride aat Teton Horseback Adventures (~7 mi. off Teton Park Rd. close to Two Ocean Lake)

4. 7:30 PM Dinner at Jackson Lake Lodge

Am I nuts or is this do-able? I'm TRYING to keep this trip as unscheduled as possible while working around activity and dinner reservations. As it is, I feel like I'm going to need a stopwatch! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 11:00 PM

I can't help you with any of your questions, I am replying because we are going to JH too. I was wondering about your shuttle to Jenny Lake. Where do you take the shuttle from? FYI I found a covered wagon ride bfast or dinner ride through wagonwheel.com. Thanks for any help, have a great trip
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 05:22 AM

Too much for the afternoon. You'll never cover Item #2 in an hour. It'll take a lot longer.
(PS: You call your proposed day "unscheduled"???????? I'd hate to read what your "scheduled" day would be!)
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 06:08 AM

Snow King Resort Chairlift Ride & Alpine Slide in Jackson, WY. At $75 for the 4 of us, I'm wondering if it's worth the money

I agree with Howard - you're doing too much for one day. We vacationed in Jackson a few years ago. Skip chairlift and slide and head into TNP. Jenny Lake is not to be missed (in my opinion).
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 06:40 AM

Adding to my earlier comments: The great joy of the Teton is to take your time to savor its magnificence, its beauty, its majesty!
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 12:58 PM

Definitely skip the alpine slide in Jackson, it may be a fun place but its quite a drive from this lodge. Concentrate on Jenny Lake, wildlife and gazing at the gorgous mountains. I dont think you can do horseback riding either.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Ditto the responses to going straight to the Park...the shuttle to Jenny Lake is beside the parking lot at that trail head...just follow the signs. You can buy your ticket there from a ranger at the dock and then you just wait for your boat! The hike was beautiful and you can either chose to hike back around the lake or catch the boat on a return trip. The drive up Signal Mountain was also a must-do - we saw an eagle circling and many wildflowers as we reached the summit. Dinner in the lodge is also an experience - get there early and enjoy a pre-dinner drink and soak up the atmosphere of the lobby - the mountains out the tremendous windows and often a pianist providing mood music - watch the wildlife (sometimes there are even animals!!)
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:29 PM

I agree, skip Snow King and alpine slide. It's not that fabulous.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 02:55 PM

Another must-do in the Teton is to drive down Antelope Flats Road in the southern part of the park and view the bison and the photogenic Moulton Barn. A photograph of the barn with the mountains in the background is must-shoot!