Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hawaii Cruise Shore Excursions, Need Your help

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Please Rate each activity on how much you think we should do it. Please base ur decision on your own experiences, what you have heard from others, and the value, and how much you really think that it can not be left out of my itinerary. We are setting sail feb 26th, we fly into OAHU, and disembark the same day, so there is little time in Honolulu. Ok here we go....

NAWILIWILI, KAUAI Day 1 and 2
Princeville waterfall hike- $135.00
Discover Jungle Falls- $99.00
Kauia Canopy Zipline adventure- $149.00

HILO, HI Day 3

Volcanoes National Park Odyssey- $49.00
Volcanoes National Park and Rainbow Falls- $85.00 (btwn this 2 is that 2nd one the better deal?)

KONA, HI Day 4

Kailu Glass bottom boat- 29.00
Outrigger Canoe rides- 55.00

KAHULUI, MAUI Days 5 and 6

The maui ocean center and Iao valley- 52.00
Road to Hana- 99.00
Maui Whale Watch- 49.00 (this is a must)
Pacific Paradise Luau- 95.00 (i would prefer to do the Old Lahaina Luau, ill ask another question about that soon.)

Lahaina on your own- RETURN 25.00 (this i assume is just transportation to and from Lahaina, would they allow ample time for us to attend the Old Lahaina Luau???

HONOLULU, OAHU Day 7

Meet the dolphina at sealife park- 110.00
Pearl harbor and USS MS tour- 75.00
OR
Peral harbor and honolul city tour- 45.00 (remember this will have to be before our flight, and we dont know what our flight time is yet, im hoping it will be a lil later in the day so that we can see peral harbor, b/c our first day in Honolulu im not expecting to want to do too much from the flight.)
Remember all prices are per person, and money is an object. Activities will probably be limited to one per day. So please do ur best to give me the best input you can... please use my format of each dwould most recomend. If there is one not on my list feel free to add.. but just so u know, i dont scuba, surf, snorkel, and i dont think we can afford the helicopter...

Thanks!!!!! Everyone is so helpful on this website....
ay and island and pick out which activity you
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Something happened and the bottom of my post got cut off.... any way it was supposed to say...

please you my format, and pick out each activity you would most recomend, in order of island, and day of trip... sorry about that, i dont know what happened...

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Hilo - About a year ago, a couple from the mainland came to Oahu to visit. They stayed in a hotel in Waikiki.

They wanted to go to the Big Island for just a day trip because they didn't want to change hotels. I would have preferred at least one overnight, but it was their choice and we made the best of it.

I went with them to Hilo.

We got there about 8:30am. Got a rental car by 9am.

In Hilo, we stopped at Banyon Dr. and Lili'uokalani Gardens.

Then we went to Akaka Falls (about 20-25 minute drive), did the short loop trail that included Kahuna Falls. The entire loop trail is less than 1 mile.

Went back to Hilo, stopped at Rainbow Falls, Boiling Pots and one other falls in the area.

About noon, we headed to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. It is about 50 minutes from Hilo. We stopped for lunch at Volcano Village.

We stopped at the Visitor's center, Jaggar Museum, Thurston Lava Tube and several other stops, steam vents, etc including a couple of short hikes.
We drove the entire Chain of Craters Road until it stops where the lava flow ended the road.

We left the Park about 5:30 and were back at the airport by 6:30 for our 7:30 flight.

The activities you mentioned in Hilo will not even include all of this. Plus, the ship will get into port earlier and you'll have more time.

Figuring about $30-$35 to rent a car for a day and $25 in gas and $10 to enter the national park.

For $70 you can see everything the tour includes and more. I assume the prices you gave for the activities are per person.

Kona - I know almost nothing about Kona.

Maui - I have been to Maui a few times. A couple of times was for a week each.

The same couple was visiting Oahu a couple years ago and we did a similar same day visit to Maui. We chose the Road to Maui. Our flight got into Kahului around 8am and we were back by 7pm for our 8pm flight back to Oahu.

We had time to make many stops along the road, stopped for lunch in Hana, spent some time at Seven Pools area including the short hike to the first waterfall on the trail going upstream.

Now, it helped because I had been on the Road to Hana before and kind of knew where to stop.

But, once again, you can rent a car and do the trip for the rental price of a car for the day and $25-$30 in gas.

I'm also assuming that you would want to go to the luau on your first night on Maui. You can go on a whale watching cruise and luau the same day. If you rent a car, you would have it for the second day and the Road to Hana.

If you go on a whale watching cruise and luau, you would still have time to stroll Lahaina as they are all in same area. Skip the Iao Valley & Needle.

One of my earlier posts was recommending to rent a car and stop at Iao Valley for a while. But that was before you posted whale watching as a "must".
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

You are incredibly helpful... thank you so much.. yes those prices were per person.

Now the first excursion u mentioned where we rent a car, is it easy to find these things on ur own? and can u see these waterfalls and what not w/o having to hike too far? I dont know if my mom will be up for a major hike. We can handle light to moderate, i think. again thank you dusty..
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:51 PM

Everything I've mentioned is easy to find.

This is a good site for driving maps.
www.driveguidemagazines.com

Hilo Area maps
http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/b...akua_hilo.html
http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/b...o_airport.html
Cruise ships dock at Hilo Harbor.

Rainbow Falls is right by the parking area. Very little to walk.

Boiling Pots is also right by a parking area.

Lili'uokalani Gardens is right by a parking area.

Akaka Falls and Kahuna Falls are on an easy .4 mile loop trail. Entire walking time about 15-20 minutes plus whatever time you spend at the falls. Each falls is about 400'.

Thurston Lava Tube is almost like a huge natural culvert right alongside the road.

Steam vents, sulfur vents are also right alongside the road. Some a real short walk. You can see them as you drive. You'll also get a good map at the entrance to the park. It will point out the good spots to go to.

Same thing on Maui - On the Road to Hana, there are some real short walks. When you get to Seven Pools, it is also right by the parking lot.

The trail that goes above the parking lot is easy to the first waterfall. It's about 1/2 mile one way.

As far as renting a car, one (or all) of you will probably have to take a cab. There may be a shuttle that goes to the rental agencies. The rental agencies are all at or near the airports. The cruise ships dock fairly close to the airports (short cab rides).

On Maui, according to a map I have, Kahului Cruise Ship Terminal is near the Maui Mall and appears to be about 3 miles from the airport.
http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/m...u_kahului.html

On Kauai, it appears to be 2-3 miles.

On Big Island, Hilo side it appears to be only 2 miles.
http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/b...o_airport.html

Kona side - From what I've read, the ship docks close to King Kamehameha Hotel. It appears to be about 2 miles to the airport.
http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/b...ilua_kona.html

On Oahu - This is probably the farthest to the car rental agencies. The cruise ships dock at Aloha Tower area in downtown Honolulu. The rental agencies at the airport are about 3-4 miles away or 10-15 minutes by cab.
http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/o...t_waikiki.html

Once again, I'm sure you can get good answers from the cruise ship itself on how to rent cars. They may have shuttles to and from the car rental agencies. But, I don't know that.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Once again thank you so much... if you are ever planning a trip to Pittsburgh or Philadephia let me know cause i can help ya with that.. lol... i took ur advice and posted in the cruise forum, to no avail, no one replied : ( but thats okay because u were so helpful..
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 11:40 AM

When you disembark at Kahului you will be greeted by musicians, hula dancers, taxis, and car rental shuttle vans. Reserve your car in advance and then hop on the shuttle when you arrive. It's important to make that reservation, since so many people are arriving at one time and so early in the day. You don't want to have to spend your time at the rental agancy waiting for them to get in a car for you.

Here is something else to consider. I have learned this from my mother who cruises in the Caribbean. Getting from the airport to the cruise ship via taxi is usually not such a big issue, but she usually allows herself an extra day to get back. The large number of passengers disembarking and trying to get the airport for flights out that same day is overwhelming. My mother likes being able to take her time, get to a nearby hotel rather than have to worry about getting a cab in time to make it through the security lines and make her flight.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 02:02 PM

I agree with here today - Most people add an extra day on each end of the cruise to avoid some of the problems.

One problem you would have is if you get any flight delays on the way over to Oahu. You'll have a 11-14 hour trip over to Oahu from Pennsylvania. You said the cruise ship leaves the same day. That may be cutting it close. So if it is possible, leave a day earlier. Enjoy an evening in Waikiki. You'll all be fresh and ready for the cruise the following day.

On your last day, you'll have plenty of time. Just make sure you have any rental car back 2 - 2 1/2 hours before departure.

You also have to think about your luggage. What time are you required to leave the cruise ship? Can you leave your luggage on the cruise ship until you have to go to the airport?
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 02:51 PM

Sounds like the first thing you need to do is buy a Fodor's Hawaii book. Read up on each of the islands and see what sounds of particular interest to you. Then do it. They have lots of great itineraries you can follow and if you have limited time, just pick and choose what sounds best. Everything you need to know is in Fodor's. (No I don't work for them).
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 02:54 PM

MAUI
I would do the "Lahaina on your own" choice, plus it's cheap. It is a fun town, lots of shopping and restaurants and a good place to stroll around. I have no idea if the timing would allow for you to see the Old Lahaina Luau (which is excellent BTW). Ask the cruise ship about the time, then contact the OLL if you want reservations. It is very popular and sells out most nights well in advance. Another thing we enjoyed in Lahaina is a self-guided historic walking tour around the downtown area. You get a pamphlet with map and all kinds of historic buildings to see at your own pace. I would not do road to Hana because I get terribly carsick.

HONOLULU
I would not swim with dolphins because I don't believe in the practice (living in captivity shortens their lifespan horribly). In Honolulu there are great historic buildings like Iolani Place and Bishop museum, plus the Chinatown district, among others that are very interesting.

I have only been to Hawaii three times, and personally do not care to spend the money for the kind of tourist activities like helicopter tours, etc. The 'islands' are about a laid-back lifestyle, and I like to take part of that as much as possible. If I were part of a cruise I would try to organize my own activities for the 1/2 day in each port.

Old Jul 1st, 2005, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

dusty, the cruiseline is making our flight arrangements, so would we have to let them know that we want to arrive a day early?
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 05:02 PM

If the cruise line is making the flight arrangements, then you can feel more confident that the ship wouldn't leave port without you. So maybe you don't need the extra day.

I still would though because you won't have to worry about flight delays, rushing things and being to tired on the first day of the cruise.

Yes, if the cruiseline is making the flight arrangements, go through them to add a day.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:35 PM

Most cruise lines charge a "deviation fee" if you want to go earlier or stay later than the actual days the cruise leaves/returns.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 10:33 AM

Brittany - I think this is your cruise schedule. This is from ncl.com:

Day Port Arrive Depart
Sun. Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii
Depart 8:00pm

Mon. Nawiliwili, Kauai, Hawaii
Arrive 7:00am

overnight Monday on Kauai

Tue. Nawiliwili, Kauai
Depart 1:00pm

(Scenic cruising)
Wed. Hilo, Hawaii
(Evening Sail By Mount Kilauea)
Arrive Hilo 9:00am
Depart Hilo 6:00pm

Thu. Kona, Hawaii
Arrive 7:00am
Depart 6:00pm

Fri. Kahului (Maui), Hawaii
Arrive 8:00am

overnight Kahului

(Optional tour to Lanai available)

Sat. Kahului (Maui), Hawaii - -
Depart 6:00pm

Sun. Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii
Arrive 7:00am*

*Disembarkation usually begins 2 hrs after docking.

Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

It has something like that in my cruise book, but not the times... i posted on cruise critic.com and this member gave this suggestion, what do u think?

brittany21 July 2nd, 2005 11:20 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pride of Aloha- Shore Excursions, Need Help

Please Rate each activity on how much you think we should do it. Please base ur decision on your own experiences, what you have heard from others, and the value, and how much you really think that it can not be left out of my itinerary. We are setting sail feb 26th, we fly into OAHU, and disembark the same day, so there is little time in Honolulu. Ok here we go....

HILO, HI Day 3

Volcanoes National Park and Rainbow Falls- $85.00 (btwn this 2 is that 2nd one the better deal?)

KONA, HI Day 4

Road to Hana- 99.00
Pacific Paradise Luau- 95.00 (i would prefer to do the Old Lahaina Luau, ill ask another question about that soon.)

Lahaina on your own- RETURN 25.00 (this i assume is just transportation to and from Lahaina, would they allow ample time for us to attend the Old Lahaina Luau???

HONOLULU, OAHU Day 7

OR
Peral harbor and honolul city tour- 45.00 (remember this will have to be before our flight, and we dont know what our flight time is yet, im hoping it will be a lil later in the day so that we can see peral harbor, b/c our first day in Honolulu im not expecting to want to do too much from the flight.)
Remember all prices are per person, and money is an object. Activities will probably be limited to one per day. So please do ur best to give me the best input you can... please use my format of each u would most recomend, by order of island, and day of trip. If there is one not on my list feel free to add.. but just so u know, i dont scuba, surf, snorkel, and i dont think we can afford the helicopter...

KeystoneCruiser July 2nd, 2005 01:04 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brittany: I was on the Aloha last August, here is my opinion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittany21

My son did the Zipline on Maui and loved it. We took a tour of Princeville and wasn't that impressed. Have you looked at the Fern Grotto or Waimiea Canyon?

Quote:
HILO, HI Day 3

I believe the second one includes lunch at Volcano House in the National Park and that is the one we did. The lunch is very good. If lunch is included in the first one, then it is the better deal. Rainbow Falls is not work $36.00!

Quote:
KONA, HI Day 4

Did the Glass bottom boat on a previous trip, not very good. Very short. Do the Ocean Center in Maui if you want to see sealife. I haven't done the canoe.

Quote:

Road to Hana- 99.00

I love Maui the best. The Ocean Center is great, Iao Valley is ok, and Lahania is a must. You also listed the Whale watch. I think you have too much stuff and something has to go. (may be the road to Hana)

Here is my suggestion: Day 1: Rent a car. (Maui is easy to navigate). Drive to the Iao Valley (which is near Kahului), then drive to the Maui Ocean Center, then drive on to Lahania. The Ocean Center is on the way to Lahania. Park your car and tour Lahania and then go to the Old Lahania Luau (which is the better one). Drive back to Kahului afterward. (about 45 minutes from Lahania). You can either then keep your car overnight or return it. (the ship allows you to reboard anytime during the night. We rented a mini-van from Alamo for about $60.00 plus gas. (cheaper than NCL tours) They picked us up at the ship and took us back to the ship. You will still have to pay admission price for the Ocean Center and Luau and parking fee in Lahania, but still would be cheaper.
Day 2: If you kept the car, drive the road to Hana, but leave early. If you didn't keep the car, take the NCL tour of either Whale Watching or the Road to Hana. I have never done the whale watching, but found the road to Hana only a novelty. (basically a bus ride on a winding road although the views are nice).

Quote:
HONOLULU, OAHU Day 7

OR

Most flights out of Honolulu do not leave until mid afternoon, so you may get lucky. If you go to Honolulu, you have to see Pearl Harbor, it is truly an incredible experience when you are out on the Arizona. We also toured the Missouri and although it was impressive, if you only have one chance, I would take the city tour to see the city itself.

I doubt you will have time on arrival day. The NCL reps generally meet you at the airport and take you to the ship for check in. You can then get off the ship and tour the Aloha tour and pier area, but you don't have time to go very far. (like Pearl Harbor or Waikiki)

Ask away if you have any more questions.

brittany21 July 2nd, 2005 02:46 PM

Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

i really think im going to have to convince my mom to rent a car on maui.. it seems to be the better way to go..
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 06:39 PM

Brittany - You got an excellent reply from the cruise forum. It's from someone who actually took the same cruise.

You already know my thoughts about renting a car.

Kauai, rent a car. I liked Waimea Canyon the best on Kauai.

Maui, rent a car.

Big Island, rent a car on Hilo side. I don't know anything about Kona side.

Oahu, ??? Depends on how much time you have on Oahu. From the reply you got, apparently someone from the cruise ship will meet you at the airport. Because it docks at Aloha Tower, there will be a lot of things close by that you can walk to.

Aloha Tower Marketplace is right there. Chinatown is close. Iolani Palace is close. Hawaii Maritime Museum/ Falls of Clyde are right there.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 09:58 AM

I would definitely look into planning some of your own shore activities. I think it would be nice to get away from the structure and the people on your cruise ship, and do a little sight-seeing of what you like, at your own pace.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi Dusty, and Everyone else who was so helpful on this site. I have been spending some time on cruisecritic.com and have gotten quite a bit of help over there too. I was just wondering if i ever mentioned that this trip is my college graduation present, dont i have the best parents??

Well i also wanted to let you know (dusty) that im pretty sure that my mom is going to go for arriving one day early in Honolulu. Im pretty close to getting her to call the travel agent, and get her advice, and i think she will seal the deal. Thanks for all your help. Im sure ill be back with more questions. Bye for now.... brittany
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 04:02 PM

Brittany - I'm sure you and your parents are going to have a great time on your trip.

Bring some rain gear so you can get out and see the islands even if it rains.

You will get some great views of the islands as you go in and out of ports.

Someone else, on one of your threads, mentioned seeing the lava flow on the Big
Island from the cruise ship.