Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Freaky Friday Rants and Raves, November 4, 2005

Nov 4th, 2005, 09:04 AM
P_M
Original Poster

As we all know, we have had major problems with the board today which is probably why jorr has not been able to post the R&R's. I hope it's OK with everyone if I do the honors myself.

Rant: Problems with the board!! I must have my daily fix, and being Fodorless just starts my day off badly. >

Rave: It's fixed now--let's hope it continues to work properly.

Rant: Car salesmen. UGH!! If only my little car could live on a few more years.

Rave: My Fodors pals who have e-mailed me recently to offer support. You know who you are, and thanks. ><

Rave: Halloween was fun. We dresed up the dog like a witch so she could greet the trick-or-treaters. She didn't like it, but she has forgiven us.

A happy, safe, and peaceful weekend to all.
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:17 AM

I've been trying most of the morning to post FFR&R and just now was able to log on. I see that some of you were able to post but I couldn't open any of them!

Rant: now I forgot my Rave.

Rave: I can't remember my Rant.

I'll post later!
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:20 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Sorry, jorr, I didn't know if you could get in or not. If only I had waited a few more minutes for you....
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:22 AM

Hi P_M! Thanks for starting the FFRR~

Rave: My 3 year old boy who broke his arm last Friday is SUCH a trooper! He took about 5 minutes to cry, but hasn't slowed down one bit, even with his cool green cast.

Rave: Trick-or-treaters.

Rave: Friends coming over for dinner tomorrow night.

Rave: Fall colors.

Rave: Thanksgiving is coming!

Rant: We are badly needing rain here in OK. Yesterday it was very windy and warm, and a brush fire started near our house. We almost lost our house in the Cedar fire in CA a couple years ago, so as soon as I saw the smoke I panicked. I shoved the kids in the car and we drove through the smoke across town to a friends' house. Luckily the firefighters were able to get a handle on it before it did too much damage, although it did reach a few homes.
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:23 AM

Rant: I broke my leg. Thank God I have my husband and son to help me.

Rave: At least I didn't break my neck!

Rant: No vacations planned.

Rave: Considering the trip I just took down my basement stairs, I guess I better stay put for a while.

Rant: Fall has been very un-colorful this year.

Rave: The weather is still good.

Rant: My son is growing up so fast. He'll be 14 on Monday. AND he's officially taller than I am. He went away with friends on a Friday after school a few hairs shorter than me, and he came home Sunday an inch taller than me! Talk about a growth spurt!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:30 AM

What is this with breaking bones??? Stop it!!

Poor baby with the broken wing, isn't it amazing how they bounce back ?
Buffalo Girl, honey, take advantage of those men in your life while you can LOL I hope you feel ok, what a pain ( actually, what pain!)
I had a friend in who went down her basement stairs with a Brisket in her hands lol. She was on the way to the garage to drive the dish to a holiday dinner at friends.
So she arrived at the hospital not only with a broken leg but covered in juices and grease and smelling like a holiday dinner

Hi jorr, I am glad you are fine..forgetful but fine

Rave:
Living in Portland
My 200th wedding anniversary is Sunday
Everyone in my family is well and happy.

Rant:
With those raves, who wants to rant?

Scarlett
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:32 AM

I am new to this board and I absolutely love it. I had trouble logging on this morning, also.

Rant - having to get up for a yard sale at 5:30 am tomorrow

Rave - Having the yard sale over with!

Rant - trying to find childcare for out trip to southwest Florida in a few weeks

Rave -buying new clothes for my trip to Florida. Thanks to the ones who gave me advice on what to wear this time of year. You know who you are!
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Rave- my daughter asked if I want to meet her for two weeks in India and Thailand at the end of her semester abroad!

Rant- Her semester ends on Dec 3! Very high season, so flights and hotels are full and prices high. Not sure I can arrange it.

Rave:Younger daughter rows (for BU) at Princeton this weekend! This is my dancer daughter...now a certified NCAA memeber!

Rant/Rave: Husband is out of town so the dog is sleeping on the bed. It's cold this week, so I like the warmth, but by the end of the night, I'm hanging half off the bed!
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:40 AM

BTW- Congratulations, Scarlett! 200th Anniversary!
Now that's a milestone! I had no idea you were so (how can I say this??) mature..
>
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:40 AM

BuffaloGirl, wish you speedy recovery! Look at the bright side: you have more time for Fodor's

LOL jorr and his memory loss!

Mini-rant: the March tour catalogues are not out yet, I can't make reservations yet

Rave: got Fodor's pin from Tpatricco, thank you Trish!

Rave: Kal is getting a new tattoo where I can't see it (and I don't want to see it!)

Rave: no candy beggers at the door this year, whenever they come I think of hungry children forced to beg...

Worry: I hope Charles/Camilla won't create traffic problems in San Francisco

RAVE: 6 lbs down, many more to go, but it's a start! suddenly my blouses went from "tight" to "just the right size"!! And seem to be longer

Rave: no rain in this weekend's forecast!
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Happy anniversary, Scarlett!

(were we posting at the same time so I've missed it )
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:45 AM

ffr&r is back!

rave: barcelona tomorrow night!

rave: autumn. love it, too bad it's not longer.

rave: going out with my boyfriend tonight!

all is well this week!

Nov 4th, 2005, 09:51 AM

Rant: Fodors boards today -grrr
Confirms I'm a F junkie.

Rave: P_M for stepping up to the bat
first; was worried about Jorr but know he's ok too.

Rave: Stitches hopefully come out tomorrow

Rave: Budman & Trish for their
collective collaboration on 3 successful GTG's to date.

Nov 4th, 2005, 09:53 AM
JJ5

Rave: A glorious Fall day in Chicagoland. The trees are quite late this year everywhere- very, very late. AND it is 70 degrees again!!!

Rave: Found a great new restaurant last night: Bonfire in Homer Glen, IL.

Rant: Found a great new restaurant last night, and fell off my diet- it was worth it.

Rave: All the good parents and great people on Fodors.

Rave: A wonderful weekend ahead for outside and inside happenings- a Scrabble marathon on Sunday as well.

Everybody have a great weekend and welcome, mommyx2.

Buffalogirl, I did an arm after 40 when I roller skated down steps- couldn't stop- stupid, I know. Was so embarrassed that I went almost 2 days before I got it set right; couldn't believe it was broken. Unloaded a station wagon full of groceries with a wet cast. Don't be stupid like I was, and use all the help you can get.

Happy healing!
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:54 AM
ed

Rant: Grey and gloomy this AM.

Rave: Taking off on Sunday to drive up to Santa Rosa to see "kids" and grandkids. :-B
Nov 4th, 2005, 10:06 AM

Rave: The foot of snow we received last week has finally melted!!!
Rave: Cocktails with my fiance (I love saying that) tonight
Rave: Dinner and cocktails with an old friend tomorrow night
Rave: My mom is doing so much better!!!! The fluid has finally started to dissipate.

Rant: Trying to lose weight for my wedding next year isn't going as fast as I'd like. I'm sure all the cocktails don't help. Just have to step up the workouts.

Buffalogirl--hope you have a speedy recovery. As clumsy as I am I'm surprised I've never broken a bone. Sprained many ankles and chipped many a tooth, though.

Happy weekend everyone!!
Nov 4th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Rant: Fodor's was down ALL morning!!!!
Why would they do maintenance on a Friday morning, don't the editors know that we have a shedule here?!?!?

Rave: Fodor's is UP!!!!!

Rave: Barb got to finish her trip report without a no-holds-barred Fodor's catfight! I feared at one point that it would deteriorate and get the post deleted. If anyone mentions Ambien one more time I will screaaaaam!

Rave: Halloween was a blast, lots of kids. The cutest one was a miniature Darth Vader (I swear that the little guy was not more than 24" tall and walking), his parents had the Empire Theme recorded and every time they played it the baby bounced up and down. He got extra candy

Rave: I had some of my Halloween Sangria left (served only to adults that we know) so I can use it as a 'start' for my next batch. I will add something red so that it does not look so orange.

Rave: Informal office BBQ tomorrow afternoon(this is where my new sangria batch will be drunk). I have to whip up something interesting to take as side dish....maybe some potato au gratin.

Major Rave: It is good to have colleagues (up and down the corporate ladder) that you actually want to spend off-work time with

Gigantic Rave: My first solo trip was wonderful. I actually enjoyed Paris more than I thought I would. I even completed my Trip Report.

Have a great weekend.
Nov 4th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Hey, P_M, I wondered if we’d get a FFRR this week! Good luck with your car.

Congrats on your 200th, Scarlett. Icuy, I hope you can work something out to make that trip - what fun! Also, hope all those broken bones heal well and we don’t hear of any more.

Rant: My former SIL has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She’ll always be one of the family and we are all praying for her.

Rave: Finished and posted my trip report from camping in Botswana (on the Africa board) and got some of the pictures up. http://www.pbase.com/cjw/botswana_africa_2005&page=all

Rave: My sister is remodeling her kitchen and she is “missing cooking”. Invited her to cook in mine so they came over and did a fish fry with all the works. I just invited friends and opened wine. Like having a restaurant in my house that night!
Nov 4th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Rave: I slept in this am and awoke to the sound of rain and two cats pressed up against me.

Rave: got a cup of coffee, checked my voice mail and found FFR&Rs up and running.

Rave: back at work with all the bells and whistles but finally pulled the house and yard together. The credit card bills are coming in. It's proof we had a great trip!! Next NYC trip in the plannning with a Spring weeklong trip to Vancouver,BC.

Rant: broken bones.

Rave: marriages of longevity and happiness

Rant: The governator's special election next Tuesday in CA. He's targeted firefighters, nurses and teachers. He seemingly lived without teachers, but he's gonna need the rest of us someday.
Nov 4th, 2005, 10:16 AM

forgot this one...and it's a rave, because i know it's good for her...
my sister moved officially to london this week! she is making a go of it there with her finace. best of luck to them both, and she'll be home for christmas!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO