Francis Marion Hotel in Charleston

Old Jan 14th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Francis Marion Hotel in Charleston

We will be in Charleston for 5 nights at the end of April for niece's "destination" wedding. I have a good rate at the Francis Marion Hotel, but it does not get very good reviews (shabby, old, small rooms). Anybody have experience with this hotel? Or can you recommend another hotel in that price range....about $200 a night.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 07:19 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I stayed there and really enjoyed it. The location is fabulous. I booked a small suite that I shared with my nephew and his wife (they actually came in early to do some work for me and I joined them on Day 3 and slept on the pullout couch). We all really enjoyed our stay.

It IS an older hotel and we may have been in one of the nicer rooms but we had absolutely no complaints.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 07:25 AM

I stayed there a while ago-- (when it was a Westin) and it the rooms were run down. The public areas/lobby was in fine shape, but for what I paid, I expected a room in better shape (peeling wall paper, threadbare chair etc). I really liked the location though.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 07:54 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Check the AAA rates at the Mills House (a Holiday Inn property that is very nice).

I love the Vendue Inn. It would probably be my first choice. If the rates are close, I'd pick the Vendue.

Old Jan 14th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Also look at the Andrew Pinckney or the King Charles Inn. Both of these have less of a big hotel feel and I'm not a huge fan of the busy corner the Francis Marion is on. For the right price, though, I'd stay there.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 10:45 AM

We stayed at the Francis Marion a few years ago for 3 nights from Priceline. We got a terrific rate. It was a bit of A PITA because there was only valet parking and we had a rental car, which meant we had to consistently wait for the car to show up before we could leave. Have also stayed at the King Charles, which has self-park. We had a decent sized room in both places. If we visit again, the King Charles seemed more accessible and is right on Meeting St. Would probably stay there.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 11:42 AM

Also the parking is free at King Charles.

I like the FM-haven't been in the rooms in several years, so I can't give you current specifics.

Lodging costs can be high, so take starrs advice and sign up for the notifications. April is a really great time to be here (although no time is bad, lol!)
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 11:53 AM

OWJ and I stayed at the Francis Marion hotel some years ago, five years ago I think. We each had our own room. I can't speak for OWJ's room but mine was quite good size and it was very comfortable and attractive. OWJ got the rooms through PriceLine I believe so we got a very good rate. We didn't move the car while we were in Charleston until we checked out of course so I can't comment on how fast valet service is if you want your car on a daily basis. The hotel staff were all very pleasant and helpful, the location was great and housekeeping kept my room very clean.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. The Francis Marion has the best rates, so we will probably go with it...and cross our fingers. We will not have a car so parking isn't an issue.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Darling Daughter worked her magic and got us reservations at the Meeting Street Inn which was our first choice!
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 07:27 PM

The Francis Marion is pretty far up King Street and a 20 minute plus walk from the Battery. I like to stay farther down the peninsula. The Vendue Inn is a better location in my opinion.