Need Savannah and Charleston hotel advice, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going next month and splitting a week between the two cities. I'm trying not to make hotel choices my life's work so limiting the selection. I've never been to either city.

What do you think about these locations (we like to walk around) and hotels:

Savannah:
The Brice
Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront
Planter's Inn

Charleston:
Renaissance
Belmond Charleston Place (probably too $$$)

Other suggestions would be welcome.

thx, gtg
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 01:31 PM

We love Wentworth Mansion in Charleston. It is expensive, but a good value IMO. They don't nickle and dime you with charges and they also feed you and give you wine. And the rooms are spectacular.

I like Charleston Place to drink...lol. I have never stayed there or been to the Renaissance.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Janet, I'll check out the Wentworth. Good idea about a drink at Charleston Place!
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 01:37 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
In Charleston, my favorites were the Planter's Inn (pricey) and the Vendue Inn. There are so many choices you can't go wrong.

In Savannah, I really like the Planter's Inn. It faces a lovely square and if you can get a park view or balcony room, even better. It is next door to the fabulous Pink House restaurant and they even provide room service to the Planter's Inn. My favorite bar is the Planter's Tavern in the basement of the Pink House. Historic space, grand piano, great vibe. Love all three of those.

The Brice is the new Kimpton hotel nearby and I love Kimptons but it is getting mixed reviews. It took the place of the old Mulberry, which was a Holiday Inn property (like the Mills House in Charleston was for years) - but neither were typical Holiday Inns. I would stay there but again the reviews are mixed and a lot don't like the décor. The Planter's Inn has classic southern décor with four poster rice beds. The Planter's also had a cocktail hour like Kimptons do.

The Bohemian is the sister hotel to the luxurious Mansion on Forsyth and I was excited when they announced it would be built. Again, the décor is a bit weird. More western than southern. The bar on the roof is very nice = Rocks on the Roof. Great space, limited view of the river with good appetizers and cocktails.

I would choose Planter's Inn, then Kimpton then Bohemian.
If you want the Bohemian's location, look at the Andaz (modern décor) or the new Cotton Sail. It's getting good reviews. I've stayed at the Andaz and it was fine but I think you'd enjoy the style/vibe/location of the Planter's Inn more.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Janet, my dear, expensive? EXPENSIVE? Yikes! Yes, it looks gorgeous but it's WAY beyond our means. But would you adopt me?
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, starrs. So there's a Planters Inn in both cities? Same owners?

I'm glad you told me about the mixed reviews at the Brice. I was wondering why the price there is so much lower than the others.

I'm booking hotels for us and another couple and they're trusting me, so I don't want to screw up.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 01:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry GTG! Hampton Inn in Charleston! from GOTG
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 01:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...DHX/index.html
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 01:59 PM

A friend of mine stayed at the Brice last week and gave it very good ratings. She liked the decor ( Kimptons are usually a little funky/fun), service was terrific and it was extremely comfortable.
In Charleston I liked the Ansonborough Inn. Convenient to walk the hisotical district, free parking, wine hour, cool rooms.
Have fun!
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 02:01 PM

You need DH to adopt you
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, gontheg, I'll take a look at that.

Planters in Charleston is too expensive and they only have suites available.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Works for me, Janet.

I'm going to have a relook at the Brice and the reviews. It's a really good price. Will also check out the Ansonborough Inn, so thanks for that, cmcf.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 02:18 PM

Check Fulton Lane Inn (http://www.fultonlaneinn.com/) in Charleston. Great location, friendly staff, and nicely decorated rooms. If you feel like a dining splurge go to McCrady's (http://mccradysrestaurant.com/), Sean Brock's flagship restaurant.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 02:19 PM

We stayed here and it was lovely. Nicely furnished rooms; a great breakfast and an afternoon cocktail hour with substantial munchies.

The website doesn't state that they give "senior" prices but if you call and reserve; they will.

http://www.indigoinn.com/

our room - http://www.indigoinn.com/photos.htm#0_7
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

The Fulton looks like a possibility but the Indigo doesn't have check-in on the day we need it.

Forging ahead!
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 02:41 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Not the same owners. Both are nice. The one is Charleston is VERY nice and pricey. The one in Savannah is very nice and not as pricey.

Nice amenities -
http://www.plantersinnsavannah.com/amenities/
•Expanded continental breakfast delivered to your room
•Complimentary Wine and Cheese Social; Mon – Sat
•Nightly turndown service
•Room service from the world renowned Olde Pink House Restaurant
More at link.

The Planters Inn Savannah is my favorite location in Savannah by far. If you are considering Hampton Inns, the Hampton Inn at Bay and Abercorn is steps away so the location is almost the same. But get a balcony or Parkview room and the PI can't be beat - IMO. Any room at the PI will be wonderful - and will have the nice amenities to make you feel spoiled.

I really don't like the Andaz, Bohemian side of the HD. Too "busy" and not enough green space nearby. The beauty of Savannah are its squares and you can't beat being in an inn opening to a lush green - and quiet - square.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Savannah seems to be down to (in no particular order) the Brice, the Andaz and the Cotton Sail. Of these three, any thoughts?

I wish hotels posted parking rates on their websites. It can make such a difference to the daily rate.

Still working on Charleston.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 03:16 PM

Call Indigo....
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 03:17 PM

Indigo parking was $12 I think, 2 years ago.

The Brice would get my vote, but then I am a huge Kimpton fan. If you decide on them, be sure to sign up for free rewards program called Karma. Gets you free wifi and other perks.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 03:41 PM

I stayed at the Andaz for two nights on my last visit to Savannah. Loved my room, quiet, plush and nice restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -