Four Seasons, BI/Logistics

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Four Seasons, BI/Logistics

We are considering staying at the Four Seasons on the Big Island for our vacation in the fall. I've read great things about the hotel and restaurants, but we will also want to try other restaurants during our stay. I can't tell by looking at the maps I have seen how far other restaurants and shopping are from the Four Seasons. We don't particularly need "night life", but would like to be somewhat close to other good restaurants and maybe some shops to wander around after dinner. I would appreciate any insight as to what is located nearby and how far we would have to drive to have a nice dinner. We are also considering the Mauna Lani Hotel because of the beautiful beach and what appears to be a nicer location (?) Thanks for any comments you can provide.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Here's my honest opinion: People tend to make more of the drive time up and down the Kona side of the B.I. than they need to. The Four Seasons is located about halfway between downtown Kailua-Kona (where you can find lots of shopping and restaurants) and the Kohala resort strip (where you will find yet more shopping and restaurants). It shouldn't take you more than about 20 mins. at the most to drive either way.

We stayed at the Mauna Lani for our honeymoon and drove into Kailua-Kona several times after dinner to walk around, get ice cream, look in the stores, etc. Everyone says it takes a half-hour to get from Mauna Lani to Kona, but it didn't seem NEARLY that long to us (and yes, we were driving a normal speed ).

We loved the Mauna Lani and highly recommend it, but would have also liked to stay at the Four Seasons (which is supposed to be the BEST!). If you can swing a stay there, go for it!

From the Four Seasons, you can drive up the coast to Waikoloa and shop at the stores there; eat at Roys or any of the restaurants at the Hilton Waikoloa. You can also drive up to Mauna Lani and try the CanoeHouse or Gallery at the Mauna Lani, or the restaurants at the Fairmont Orchid (which is in the Mauna Lani area). You can go yet farther north and eat at the Hapuna Prince or the Mauna Kea, also.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Oh--also--if you have any specific questions about the Mauna Lani, fire away. We spent seven wonderful nights there and ate at all the restaurants .
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 09:55 AM

Hi,
I have a question along the same lines, although we are thinking of staying at the Hapuna Prince for our honeymoon in August. How far are other restaurants/shops from that resort?
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Hapuna is farther north, I think about 10 mins from Mauna Lani maybe...so it's going to be a longer drive...but AGAIN I really don't think you're going to be put out by the drive.