Reload this Page >

Kona Village or Orchid Honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:15 PM
James

My wife and I were all set to spend our honeymoon at the Orchid when rooms freed up at Kona Village (they have an excellent deal for honeymooners, by the by).

We don't require require ultra-luxe surroundings (a la 4S), but we do tend to stay in smaller luxury hotels (Lowell in NYC, Campton Place in SF, Chateau Marmont in LA).

I know the Orchid is very nice - is Kona "roughing it" to an extent? Some posters complain of insect problems - is this a prevelant problem? I LOVE the idea of Kona without phones and TV - I'm worried about the rooms and the food. Basically, I'm scared of ending up in a "summer camp" type location.

BIG thanks to any one who can help...

James

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:28 PM
Kehau

Dear James,
For a honeymoon, I highly recommend the Orchid instead of Kona Village. Although Kona Village is very peaceful without a phone or TV, the food is mediocre and it does feel a bit like summer camp. Based on the hotels you seem to enjoy, you would be happier at the Orchid. For a treat, book a massage outdoors for you and your wife. The Spa Without Walls at the Orchid offers treatments in a variety of settings: ocean, garden, near a small waterfall, etc. The food at the Orchid is much better than Kona Village. Service is better as well. The only problem is that the Orchid is a popular spot for conventions. (I do hope you are referring to the Orchid at Maunalani!)
Aloha,
Kehau

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 12:03 AM
Anuhea

I disagree with Kehau. I have stayed both places, and without doubt I would much rather stay at Kona Village. If that is "summer camp", I'll take it! (Best fresh ahi, perfectly prepared fresh abalone, freedom from the monotony of chain hotels. The Orchid is just another hotel with a fake beach, endless convention-type people who tend to be variations of each other. Kona Village is the last vestige of the real Hawaii that is fast dissappearing. Aloha!

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 05:12 AM
honeymooner

We also had that same dilemmna, but we ultimately chose the Orchid. One reason is that we wanted to be free to do some sightseeing around the island, and since the Kona Village is all-inclusive, we didn't want to be paying for meals we would probably miss (if you go see the volcanoes one day, it's an all day trip). I also read about insect problems. We were extremely happy with the Orchid-the setting is beautiful, it is not all "fake", and we did not see one convention person. We had a great time at the Orchid! We also stayed at the 4S Maui-Wailea which was fabulous too. The breakfast buffet at the Orchid is delicious-it was part of our package.
Good luck on your decision. We are planning to go back in a few years for an anniversary!

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Mark

Check out the Mauna Lani Resort as well. We spent a week there in May and absolutely loved it. The room was big, the grounds were beautiful, the hotel beach is fine and other larger ones are nearby, and a seven-minute walk away there is fabulous snorkeling off the beach at the Beach Club, the Mauna Lani condo complex. The breakfast buffet was included in our package, and it was enormous and very good.
In late May, bugs were not a problem on the Big Island (but they were on Kauai, which we visited next).
There are a number of good restaurants around (including a Roy's), so I wouldn't want to have a package that includes dinner.
We visited the Orchid and thought it looked plush but there was too much marble for our taste. It didn't have as much charm as the Orchid or some of the other hotels.
The one advantage the Kona Village might have is that it is closer to the main town, if shopping is very important. However, there is a shopping center in Kohala now.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 10:48 AM
lindafromNJ

My vote is for Kona Village. We got married there a few years ago and went back for our first anniversary. We are going again next year. To us it is heaven on earth. It is the most peaceful place. There is nothing like it. You can swim at the beach and snorkel (great snorkeling) right off the beach. The food was good. we went on day excursions from the hotel. Eat an early breakfast, they pack a picnic lunch that cannot be beat (put it on ice) and have a late dinner. They have a very good relaxing spa right there. It is a truly romantic place. As far as bugs were concerned. We saw one roach in the two times we were there. We saw more bugs in Maui then anywhere else. If you want to do something really different try Kona Village.