Fort Lauderdale

Old May 4th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Jujee

Fort Lauderdale

We're flying out at the beginning of June to Fort Lauderdale for the first time.

Any suggestions on inexpensive (but clean) accomodations?

Suggestions on car rentals?

Suggestions on where to go? what to do? where to eat? =)

Old May 4th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Beth

Louis Louis is a great Italian restaurant on Las Olas. There are several Best Westerns in the area and on the beach that look nice. Check out the Pelican Beach Resort. In general, I prefer Alamo car rentals. Remember that the sun is wicked there that time of year; use sunscreen even if you normally don't!

Old May 4th, 2001, 12:52 PM
JJ

There is a whole thread on Alamo car rental especially in FLL. Do a text search on Alamo and you will find it. The agreement here is stay away from Alamo, long lines, terrible service. I rented from them once, never again. I have used Avis and am very pleased with them. As for inexpensive hotels, there really aren't any on Fort Lauderdale beach. Drive up to Lauderdale by the Sea or Pompano and you will find plenty of inexpensive places.

Old May 4th, 2001, 02:27 PM
lisa

Jujee -- I recently stayed at an inexpensive place in Fort Lauderdale called Ireland's Inn. I chose it because it was the least expensive place I could find right on the beach. It is rated 3-diamonds by AAA. It is a very basic family-owned hotel, nothing fancy, but clean and in a good location (lots of places in Ft. Lauderdale say they're on the ocean but they're really across the street -- this place is really right on the beach). The only thing about it that I didn't care for was that my room was right off the pool area so it was a little noisy, but I'm sure most of the rooms don't have that problem (they were fully booked when I was there so there were no other rooms available). There are two small swimming pools and a restaurant with surprisingly good food (I ended up eating there several times because the food was so good -- macadamia-encrusted grouper, shrimp scampi, fresh snapper all highly recommended). They provide free chaise lounges and beach towels to use on the beach. They have a website at http://www.irelands.com/ where you can see pictures. My room in April was $80 per night but their rates vary by category depending on the view, and I would imagine the rates have come down since then because that was spring break time; there are 3 different buildings and one of them has been renovated more recently than the others and has pricier rooms.

I rented with Budget car rental at the airport and had no problems & got a great rate on their website after shopping around prices with a lot of other places.

I really enjoyed Las Olas Blvd. There are some terrific shops and restaurants there -- one is a wonderful crepe place where I had INCREDIBLE seafood crepes and some good French wine. One of the shops in particular has lovely arts & crafts for the home -- it is huge and I found a couple of nice things there.

There is also an IMAX theatre down by the riverwalk.

Have a good time.

Old May 4th, 2001, 04:57 PM
Ron

Jujee,

Here are a couple of restaurant recommendations:

Marks - Las Olas
Casa D' Angelo - Federal Highway
Jackson Steakhouse
California Cafe
Burt & Jacks - Burt Reynolds no longer owns it
Shirttail Charlies
Aruba - Laderdale-By-The-Sea
Old Florida Seafood House - Shopping Center
Rustic Inn

Old May 5th, 2001, 11:04 PM
Jujee

Thanks everyone for adding their insite on Fort Lauderdale! I'd like to hear more! =) We're totally open to staying in neighboring counties, as long as the beach is nice and the hotel is clean! I've emailed Irelands (thanks Lisa =)) for their current rates, etc. Would really prefer a b&b, but none seem to be that nice (call me picky...), so I figure, let's see what we can do on a really tight budget! lol Apparently, I need to get out more... =P Thanks everyone & keep those suggestions coming!

Old May 6th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Ginny

We stayed at a place in Pompano right on the beach called the Sea Castle. They recently renovated it. It is clean, family run and inexpensive.

The url for the Sea Castle is:
http://www.seacastleresort.com/

Old May 9th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Melanie

Lauderdale by the Sea is a great inexpensive place to stay. I used to live on Lauderdale beach but before I moved there my boyfriend and I loved a little place called Seaward (small yellow building at south end of Lauderdale by the Sea). Right on the beach. Try to get the oceanfront room. Off season rates are great! Probably $75-80/night. Romantic to walk and/or fish off Commercial Blvd pier nearby. Aruba restaurant also nearby, decent food, great view.

Comments by Ron re: restaurants are good. On Las Olas, try Le Bonne Crepe for breakfast or the Riverside Hotel (historic). Fun night spot is the Samba Room, Tarpon Bend, Dicey Rileys. Also, don't miss The Elbow Room at Las Olas and A1A. One of oldest bars in Lauderdale; always a scene and great people watching.

I'd recommend renting roller blades or scooters to really explore. Oh yeah! A great thing to do is either charter a small boat OR take Water Taxi or Water Bus on Ft. Lauderdale intracoastal. The Lauderdale canals are awesome ... you'll think you're in Venice!
Have fun!

Old May 9th, 2001, 07:18 PM
LCF

Everyone has good suggestions, try this website of the local paper, has lots of ads on the site for locals and check out hte entertainement. Gives a calendar of local events. Should help lots. www.sunsentinel.com

Old May 10th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Don and Linda

Hello Jujee,

You're in luck! We just posted our new Florida travelogue and it's exactly what you're seeking.
http://www.thetravelzine.com/zinextras_spring01fl.htm

Enjoy your trip,
Don and Linda
TheTravelzine.com is non-commercial

Old May 10th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Carrie

Jujee,
I have lived in Ft.Laud for 15 years and would highly recommend the Double Tree suites on A1A. It is a clean fairly inexpensive hotel that has a great pool, restraunt overlooking the ocean, and you can walk right out the back door cross the street and you are on the beach. Their location is walking distance from great shopping, bars, and Beach Place wich is a 3 story complex that has everything. Taxi's from the front door can take you minutes to reach Las Olas or the new waterfront shopping area that has a great mini cruise on the inter-coastal. Have a blast!

Old May 10th, 2001, 01:49 PM
xxxx

Don & Linda-What you are doing is soliciting plain and simple. Go somewhere else please....

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of Tides Inn Oceanfront Resort in Lauderdale By-The-Sea on El Mar Drive. My fiance and I have reservations to stay here in June and I seen there website and it looked pretty nice. Does anyone have any comments on this resort? How is the beach there? In need of info.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:34 PM
GoTravel

tigger, the Tides Inn is a very basic oceanfront motel.

I would suggest starting a new thread with Tides Inn/Lauderdale-By-The-Sea in your header.

One regular poster, heartburn, lives there and can give you excellent advice.