Florida with babies

Old Apr 20th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Florida with babies

My husband and I would like to visit Florida in July. I understand that's not really season, but that's the only time we have available. We have 1 year old twins and would like to stay somewhere where the beaches are not overly crowded, but baby/kid friendly. I was looking at the Naples Beach and Golf Resort as well as Clearwater. Does anyone have any recommendations/advice? Thank you.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 11:46 AM

Siesta Key (Sarasota). Beautiful beaches, very popular with families and kids. It will be somewhat crowded on weekends but at that time, weekdays will be very manageable.

That said, it will be somewhat HOT and you will have summer rains in the afternoon, but that's true for the other destinations you mentioned as well.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 11:50 AM

forgot to add

The sand is very soft and white, so it's not hot. Running bare footed is okay, the water is nice, no shells, no rocks, etc. calm and warm at that time of the year.

Sometimes it feels like bath water.

We love living here just because of that.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 12:06 PM

What does your pediatrician say about taking one year olds to the beach?
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 12:32 PM

Please keep your babies safe from the sun. http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-k...the-sun_421.bc
Skin cancer is no joke.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 05:51 PM

Agree that infants should not be out in the sun - the worst thing you can do for their skin. Make sure your ped helps you select the correct sun block to protect them - and remember that the sun reflects up off the water and the sand - not just down - so being under an umbrella the whole time isn't good enough.
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 05:06 AM

Since you asked for advice, I will tell you that beach+babies is no fun at all. This is definitely a trip I would postpone until they're older. You will lug all your gear out to the beach where the babies will be happy for about 20 minutes tops. Then it's time to go back to the condo/hotel.

It is not just hot in Florida in July, it is miserable. But, if you must go to Florida, please do yourself a favor and rent a condo. At least that way you can have two bedrooms and a kitchen to prepare snacks and meals.
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the responses. My pediatrician said it would be ok, as long as we are not out in the sun for too long at a time.
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 02:53 PM

Get one of the beach shelters with a little cot or air mattress. The baby can rest/sleep in there and be protected from the sun once s/he is done running around.

See the sun protection shelters everywhere on our beaches.

Here is an example, although there are many other versions available

http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Beach-Port.../dp/B003311CDC
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:57 AM

For an infant anythng longer than 15 minutes is too much time in the sun. Not good for anyone really without strong sunlock - but an infant's skin is so delicate that this is a real nono.

Given the fact that melanoma is becoming more and more common in people in their 20s - and even teens - parents must carefuly control sun exposure for little ones.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 09:52 AM

Boy, did we get off topic. Yes, it is important to keep your babies covered and/or slathered with high SPF sunscreen but that wasn't the question.

I have never stayed at the Naples Beach Resort but go there every year when my husband does the triathlon held there and I think it looks like a very nice hotel. It is right on the beach so if your children do get tired of the beach you can easily go back to your room. They also have a nice pool area. The beaches are not crowded in Naples in July (except for the 4th when they shoot fireworks off from the pier). Plus Naples has wonderful shopping, a children's museum, waterpark, etc. I love living in Naples, I highly recommend coming here.

Back to the babies, I second AAFrequentFlyer's suggestion of the beach shelter and also think about buying high SPF bathing suits. You can also pick times of the day to go to the beach where the sun is less threatening such as early morning and near sunset.

If you don't want to lug all of your baby stuff on the plane, then you can rent it when you get here from Twinkle, Twinkle Little Store:

http://www.twinkletwinklelittlestoreofnaples.com/

I hope that you are not discouraged by the other comments, you CAN successfully take babies to the beach without it being a disaster as long as you take the proper precautions.

I know as a Pale-skinned, Red-Headed mother of a 5 yr old and 9 month old. My kids would never go out of the house if I didn't want to take them outside in the hot, florida sun. I hope you have a fun trip no matter where you choose to go.