Search

Florida in Summer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida in Summer

hi fodorites,

i've been MIA for the last few years from the forums ... blame my pre-schooler and newborn!

i'm getting the travel bug again and was thinking of spending a week in siesta key this august. my pre-schooler LOVES the beach and we'd pretty much just spend our time building sandcastles and wading in the water. to maximize our time and also juggle duelling nap schedules, i've been looking at beachfront condos and am pleased to find a bunch of different options.

i'm wondering if folks can comment on the weather in august ... particularly for the little ones. and fwiw, we're from toronto.

thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 07:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Blazingly hot and horribly humid.
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 07:57 AM

As long as there isn't a hurricane when you go, it will be ok, HOT and Humid and hopefully no red tide so you can't go in the water. It can be hot and humid in MA too, but not usually all night long and Florida tends to have a thunderstorm every afternoon.

If you can get the kids to nap during the thunderstorm and use lots of sunscreen, are right on the water where there is a chance of a breeze, then go and take advantage of the great rental rates.
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 08:40 AM

With two little ones you must be super careful about sunscreen - esp which are appropriate for i infants - even under an umbrella and with a hat the sun will reflect off the water and sand and the kids can seriously burn in even 20 minutes or so.

As MDs find out more and more about the long-term risks of sun on young skin (the rate of melanoma among teens and 20s s rising at a shocking rat due to childhood exposure) it's vital to take this into account. Make sure there s plenty for the kids to do out of the sun.
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 09:04 AM

Hot and humid with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms.

That is pretty much the weather forecast for the summer in Florida!
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 09:21 AM

Try to get a place that has a pool also. Sometimes it's better just to take the kids to the pool and not deal with the sand, etc. Just nice to have the option. Yes, it will be hot and humid, but when you're on a beach vacation, that is not necessarily a bad thing!
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

hi all,

thanks so much for the tips! and yes, i will be VERY careful with sunscreen etc. realistically, we'll be indoors during lunch/afternoon nap and likely only hitting the beach in the morning.
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 11:13 AM

You might also be interested in someplace further North like the beaches off the coast of NJ, Del, southern VA, and NC. Lots of pretty ones. Still hot, but perhaps not quite as hot and not quite so much humidity.
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It will be hot and humid. The effect of that humidity can be somewhat mitigated by your LOCATION and if it is on or very near the ocean then the breezes are helpful.

When we were contemplating moving here from Northern Virginia we had a whole BUNCH or people "warning" us about the summers and a whole bunch MORE who live where we do: ON the beach, telling us about the breezes. The latter bunch was correct.

Now, if your are anywhere INLAND at that time be prepared.
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 11:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, I have YET to be on ANY beach where there wasn't some humidity.
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

@sassafrass ... i'm not opposed to considering other destinations. do you have any specific suggestions? really, i'm looking for a kid-friendly beach within a short (non-stop) flight from toronto. thanks!
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 03:40 PM

I grew up on Delaware beaches and now spend a lot of time on FL beaches. It is nice by the water. The sand gets hot enough to burn your feet so buy those little beach shoes. Flip flops don't stay on. Early morning and early evenings are wonderful on the beach. Bull frog is my favorite sunscreen and think they make a baby formula. If you are on a public beach you can rent an umbrella. Plenty of drinks and you will have a great time.