Search

Florida in July (Sarasota)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida in July (Sarasota)

Hi all,

Thinking of a beach trip for the family to Florida in late July (3rd or 4th week). We are looking at Sarasota/Siesta Key but were wondering about rains and heat. How bad is bad?

Or do we just go to Virginia Beach?

Thanks
George
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 12:49 PM

It will be hot and humid, but so will Virginia Beach. You will love the beach and sand at Siesta Key. Also consider Anna Maria Island. A must-do is to kayak off Siesta Key. The mangroves and birds are so cool. Remember, if you stay wet, it won't feel so hot!
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Average temp in Sarasota is only a couple of degrees warmer in July than Virginia Beach and let's face it: humid at one beach is probably no more humid than at another.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 02:47 PM

Yes, it's the rainy season. Doesn't stop us.
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone. I hope we decide to go
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 03:17 AM

I think it may be cheaper in Sarasota than Virginia Beach, though some places may not be open.

Summer is high season for beaches up the East Coast and in the Fl-AL-MS Gulf Beaches where as it is off season in central and southern Florida.

You will not believe how warm the water is in the Gulf at that time of year. This may be a bug or it may be a feature.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 06:40 AM

We have second home in town just south of Sarasota...
Siesta Key can be incredibly crowded (and expensive rentals close to beach) during the summer even though that is not high season. Parking area there was enlarged but it gets very crowded and you have to walk what I consider a longer distance than from some other area beaches with your gear.
Admittedly Siesta Key is usually considered a more attractive beach (expansive beach area and whiter/finer sand) than Nokomis or the other local ones. My recommend would be to stay at hotel right on beach...and there are many from St. Pete/Clearwater down to Manasota Key south of Sarasota...for walk-out access.

One negative to beach time could be "red tide" which developes when Gulf waters warm up and plankton/fish die..this past summer was not too bad as I remember it. And there is no way to predict when or how bad an outbreak might be. Yes, weather will be very hot/humid, but that usually bring a heat shower in late afternoon for cooling effect. New movie theater at Sarasota mall on 41/mainland across bridge from Siesta Key w/reclining chairs and upscale food gives one outlet for rainy periods.

If you go, plan to eat one meal at place in south Venice called Cedar Reef Fish Camp...we think it has best fresh fish in area and not over priced..but means trip off the Key...
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 06:47 AM

Second thought--
Don't know your budget, but you might consider areas not on Siesta Key--that seems to be most expensive in area because of the beach's reputation for beauty. Lot of natives who live in area consider it more a tourist trap and use other beaches. If you want to rent a condo w/family space, you might look as far south as Manasota Key...almost any beach along that part of the Gulf has a decent beach front for summer vacation and could be less expensive...
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

@1Travelfan

Thank you for the info. Our budget is decent albeit not crazy. We are planning on flying down from CT.

We were 100% looking at Hotels on the beach in Sarasota and then working out the rest. Red tide is a concern due to some slight asthma for my wife which is why we are again suddenly considering not going... she wants to go but don't want to spend it in the hospital.

In the end it will be a last minute call but I have heard great things.

thanks again
G
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 02:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to reiterate:

if it absolutely MUST be Sarasota then no more need be said.

The water temperature in the southeastern Atlantic is also very high; like bathwater in front of our home here in Fort Lauderdale so almost any location on South Florida would be good for swimming, water temp-wise.

In terms of beauty without any of the high-rise or even mid-rise architecture, Captiva might be another option BUT only consider it if you want beach, beach, beach, and not a lot of other (retail, for example) opportunities.
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone!
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 01:54 PM

I'll second the suggestion of Anna Maria Island. No high rises, 7 mile long beach, lots of beachfront accommodations, numerous Gulf front and bayfront restaurants, shopping, Mote Marine Aquarium not far --awesome for kids. Great ice cream at Two Scoops on the north end across from the city pier. And more. ��
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 08:32 AM

July is HOT (I lived there 22 years and went for a brief trip July 2012) but the water is divine - just floating with a noodle on calm warm water - heaven! Siesta Beach is the best