Florida / California - HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP! My family is driving me a bit batty - we are desperate to go away but money is an issue so the Caribbean is OUT ( I have posted before) but my great - he really is great step father is back and forth on the issues of where else to go....Florida was a great idea - but I have heard that Sanibel and Captiva suffered terribly...so maybe not there...we really want -

on the beach
pool
enough space in rental for 4 adults one teen and a baby...
somewhat soft sand...(weird eh?)

I have looked at Bonita Beach (?) is this recommended? Naples has no affordable spots on the beach...is there another place to consider in Fla.? The Keys don't really have beaches - is this true? What would the weather be like there in March? Ft. Lauderdale - the weather cooler? Water cooler? beaches?? ARRGH!

What about California? Nice beaches yes - but what about weather? Can you wade into the water at that time of year? Is it insanely expensive would it be better than Florida - Have I asked tooooo many questions - HELP!!

whew - Now I wonder will I get any responses to that mess of a message?? Thanks anyway!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:14 AM

California can be wet (and cold) during March and depending where you stay the ocean temp will be cold.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:21 AM
GoTravel

Since California and Florida are options I'm guessing you all are flying? If money is an issue, have you looked at Mexico? Much cheaper than the Caribbean and probably cheaper than California or Florida.

Of your two choices, I'd pick Florida over California because unless you hit Palm Springs or another desert resort town (??) you aren't going to have warm weather. Palm Springs will be expensive in March.

Go to VRBO.com and look for a 3 bedroom condo. A block or so off the beach will save you a considerable amount of money. Good beaches: Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, Sunny Isles, Hollywood, Hallendale, Bal Harbour, Boca Raton, Palm Beach, or anywhere else of the South East coast of Florida. I cannot comment on the gulf side because I am not that familiar with the Naples area.

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:25 AM

Hi Carib,

We really enjoy St. Pete's beach... beautiful LONG beach with great shelling, shore fishing, and wonderful places to explore from there.

We have experienced very affordable lodging at the Alden, which has 1 BR gulf front units w/ mini kitchens. My BIL & SIL go every year and stay at the Bonaire, which offers studio & 1-2 BR apartments w/ full kitchens. Both of these places are very clean and pleasant for families... get 2 rooms for your family... you won't be sorry.

The weather will be hit or miss in March, but your chances are good to have nice warm sunny days.

Hope it all works out.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much - I am on Maternity leave and therefore by default get to do all the leg work - I am finding it a bit overwhelming to figure this out so the help is great!

I am really looking forward to a vacation so I am hoping that Florida works out...Mexico would be great GREAT if it was just my husband and I and baby - but with Mother of mine along - Mexico is out...grr...she can be a harsh travel critic - I loved LOVED Mexico....maybe at this point we will break away and go Florida or Mexico solo...hehe