Another quesiton requesting suggestions for a Top Salesmen's Reward Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. My husband's company has a President's Club trip every February. So far, they've been to Nassau, Cancun, Las Vegas and Orlando. This month we return to Cancun. They are already thinking about next year, and want to keep it domestic.

Being that they have it in Feb. and we want WARM weather, that leaves out 99% of the country. When we went to Orlando, it was cool - in the 50s, so I think Florida is out b/c of iffy weather. New Orleans does not appeal and the company has a location in San Diego (and Houston), so that would not be a treat for those people. I believe that leaves the Southwest and I would love to hear suggestions. Any ideas in the Sante Fe or Albuquerque areas? I've never been to NM but heard its very nice.

Here are some parameters:

Cost is an object. While these are nice trips, and we stay in nice places, the hotels are not Four Seasons or Canyon Ranch, either. Hotel does need to have capacity for meetings and a trade show type event.

Must have a major airport to keep commmuting time and airline costs down.

Golf is not a priority.

A dude ranch so everyone can go horseback riding together sounds fun. Any recommendatiosn in AZ or NM?

Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:28 AM

First of all you need to do a little weather research. Orlando is NOT south Florida, and far from the warmest spot in Florida. To eliminate Florida in February because the cold temperatures are "iffy" but to consider New Mexico or Arizona might take some rethinking on your part.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:44 AM

If you go further south in Florida than Orlando, you'll hit daytime high temps of the high 70's, low 80's (on occassion.)

There are plenty of nice resort areas in and around Tampa. I've stayed at Saddlebrook for corporate events but that really does revolve around golf.

The Ritz-Carlton in Naples was the yearly site for a meeting I used to attend regularly and it was always really nice. I'm sure more economical hotel options exist in that area if the Ritz breaks the budget.

On the east coast of Florida, plenty of nice towns between West Palm Beach and Miami.

I've stayed at the Marriott in Delray Beach for meetings and always found it to be a decent option.

I'm sure if you contact the group sales office at each of these hotels they can fill you in on group activities in the area.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:23 AM

Sante Fe and Albuquerque are not warm weather climates in the winter.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Yes, I now see that NM isn't going to work. Darn. We've been to every state out west except NM and Idaho. And I know we're not going to have the trip in Idaho!

re: Florida. I know there are plenty of nice places, and I know where Orlando is located vs. southern Florida. My father-in-law was just in Ft. L and he said they hit a cold spell. What a downer to go somewhere where you are expecting warmth. The thing I have with Florida, is that it just doesn't seem like that big of a "reward". You see, this year the trip is in Cancun, last year was Nassau and the year prior in Cancun. Most of the people going are from the east coast, and most of them have been to Florida at least a dozen times. It's just not the novelty as say, Cancun. I'm sure it would be an appropriate place for several reasons.

I guess I will look further into Scottsdale, or perhaps we can talk them into Cabo.

Any AZ insights?
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:08 AM

Hi karens!
This is my second Feb in Jacksonville Florida and I can tell you that it was last year and is now- chilly and grey and wet.
Orlando is only about 2 hours south/west of here and their temps are pretty much the same.
Last time I was in Arizona in late March, it was in the 70s, we wore light sweaters especially at night. In the desert, it really can get cold when the sun goes down.
My vote would be Mexico
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:18 AM

My husband's company has gone to Santa Barbara at the Bacara Resort and Spa and it was lovely. Lots to do there and events were set up so you didn't have to be in the pool the whole time. (horseback riding, hang gliding, etc) They have also been to the Phoenician in AZ, as well as others. I will ask him where else they have been. We haven't been to all, just a few!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:07 AM

Hawaii? There are some great hotels there that aren't Four Seasons expensive...
Tucson has some cool looking dude ranches. Tanque Verde ranch looks great. Check out ranchweb.com. Have fun planning...
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:22 AM
dcespedes

Hi Karens--we were in Scottsdale end of February last year. The weather was a mix of sun, clouds, drizzle and cool temps. There are beautiful hotels in Scottsdale, great restaurants and fab shopping. February would be a good time of year to hike Camelback Mountain, take a drive up to Sedona.

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:38 AM

Just curious, why is it that New Orleans doesn't appeal?

Warm weather plus nice resort equals "reward" to me no matter what the state! How about that gorgeous Marriott at Marco Island near the Everglades? Or South Beach? Key West?

If not Florida, how about Puerto Rico for a change?
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:27 AM

Scarlett, no offense but here in Naples we don't consider Jacksonville part of Florida. It's one of those "cities up north".

Today in Naples it is beautiful --currently bright sunshine and 75 degrees. That's a lot different from your current 64 and light rain (according to Weather Underground).
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:49 AM

LOL, no offense taken, dear!