Search

Tallahassee Florida

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tallahassee Florida

Has anyone ever been there or live there. What is it like. I plan on going there early next year to visit family. Just getting other opinions. I know its a college town and that is it. And is it warm during Feburary?
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Yes, I've been there many times.

Tallahassee is rather small, but has two major universities and is our Florida state capitol. It can be cool in February.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 12:53 PM

I live in Tallahassee. I think you could classify it as a small city. It is not like most of Florida; it is more like south Georgia. Lots of live oaks, Spanish moss, azeleas, even small hills. Very friendly people and you will hear southern accents everywhere.

According to Weatherbase.com, the average high in February is 67 and the average low is 46.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 12:57 PM

Hi,

I went to college there and now only live 40 miles from there. Tallahassee is a great town! Not to big, not too small. It is close enough that you could drive down to the coast for lunch on a weekend if you wanted to!

January and February are probably our coldest months but still mild in comparison to most places.

Give me some specific questions and I'll try to help more.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I am going there to visit my father and my aunt. I just found my father last month. This will be the first time seeing him in 30 years. So I am looking forward to it. Anyway I never hear much about Tallahassee Florida like I do Miami or Orlando. So I was just asking. He has been telling things here and there. And they do have that southern accent.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 02:14 PM

I lived there 14 1/2 yrs after graduating FSU and loved it. Small town feel, but growing, w/ lots of southern hospitality. It's a great place to raise a family.

February is definitely cool and sometimes downright cold!

GO NOLES!
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 03:06 PM

I lived in Tally for 2 years as a graduate student at FSU and I fondly remember my time there. I left in 2002.

It is a wonderfully sized city - plenty of opportunity, low on hassle. The government & college base make for a very eclectic small city - wonderful food, culture, day trips, weather.

Being from Western NY, only Nov-Feb was COLD enough for me. The heat can be horrid in Tally as there's no ocean breeze like in Miami.

If I had to name my favorite things about Tally, I notice they revolve around food! They would be...
1. Momo's. Amazing pizza & dive-like atmosphere. If you're a grad student in the college of education you cannot miss it!
2. Main Ingredient- such a neat little restaurnt.
3. Leon Pub - no liquor or food here; beer & bad wine only. But LOTS of beer, hundreds (ok dozens) of flavors, shapes, sizes, styles... And there's tabletop Pac Man! Your mood enhances as soon as you find a parking space you won't get towed from.
4. PoBoys - fried pickles.
5. Gordos. Black beans & rice
6. Club Pub - The 'college' Publix people got hooched up to shop at.
7. Home game weekends
8. The southern pace, hospitality and charm.
9. The airport. Seriously, it's tiny, but it always got me where I needed to go, and typcially at a great rate!
10. FL Caverns State Park - about an hour away.

Enjoy exploring pgh, you've brought back good memories for me!

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM

sss is right - it is more like south Georgia than "Florida". Nice little city/ big town. A friend who could live anywhere in Fla (and had lived in many differnt states)chose Tallahassee as his "last stop" before retiring. A family member is starting out life as a young married there. Nice place to live. Feb can be warm - or cold - but is a lot warmer than the top half of the US
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Hey Starrs,

Still waiting for you to come to Tally so we can have lunch!
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM

Okay. When I'm down in South GA I'll plan to head down. Lunch with you. Dinner with the newlyweds. It'll be a great break during a work week