Kaua`i - new Courtyard by Marriott

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not yet "officially" re-opened, but friends who are spending their holiday week at this new facility, were raving about their room last night.

Formerly the Kaua`i Beach Resort (Kapa`a), it's now this state's first Courtyard by Marriott. Completely remodeled and renovated (inside and out). Here's what I found when I did a quick search on google:
http://www.kcbresort.com/
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 11:59 AM

Hi, Auntiemarie. We've got reservations at the Marriott Beach Club in June 2005, but I've been looking at the Courtyard and wondering if this would be better for us. (We're using Marriott points.) Can you compare the two resorts, and the beaches and pools at both places? Thanks.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 12:08 PM
Kal

Aloohaaa!

'Bout time they did something positive with that property.

It used to be the nicest on the CocoCoast, IMHO.

Thx for the info, AuntieM.

Might be a good location for our buddy, Budman???
Great location, far enuff away from the road yet close to Safeway, Cocnuts, Bullshed, Lemongrass, Pac Cafe, La Playita and Lizard Lounge...etc.

They ever do anything with The Whaler Brew Pub? I've heard everyting from House of Blues to a recording studio to another brew pub.

Just shipped my sticks over yesterday!
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 04:19 PM
koa

I was just by the hotel last week and its far from being done. The pool is drained, the landscaping looks like hell and there is basically no facilities( restaurant, gift shop etc.) Its looks like there at least several months away from being done, at least!That said, When its done it will be a big improvement over the coconut beach hotel which was a dump! Samsaf, the mariott beach club in poipu would be great choice.Right on poipu beach. The beach area fronting the new Mariott Courtyard, while scenic, is consistently rough, rocky and unswimmable. Courtyards strengths is its location near shopping and restaurants.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Samsaf:

According to the website's "renovation update" page:
http://www.kcbresort.com/_wsn/page3.html
the bar/restaurants will be opening in February 2005. As of this week, the pool is renovated and open and all landscaping has been completed (drove by today...driveway and parking lots have been repaved, and the front landscaping looked great).

If the Marriott Beach Club you mention is located at the Marriott Hotel on Kalapaki Bay in Lihu`e, you're headed for a full-blown resort -- spa, multiple dining facilities on-site, upscale shops, lush grounds, bigbigbig swimming pool. The Courtyard will be great when renovations are completed, but it'll only be a very nice hotel.

Kal: Whaler Pub is all but closed now. Most of the former shops which were on that same point of land, have been demolished and the whole area looks like a ghost town. It's been awhile since our paper has carried an article about the whole club/recording studio/nightspot plans were announced, so I'm not sure what we'll finally see out there.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 03:26 AM

Yes, the Marriott where we've got reservations is the one in Lihue. We're just trying to get the most bang for the buck (or the points!)

Thanks.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 04:13 AM
koa

SAMSAF -The lihue marriott is a great property. However, if you can use your points at the Waiohai Marriott in poipu that would be even better. Its a smaller resort right on poipu beach. Of course it depends on what your looking for. Like auntiemaria said, its a large full blown resort. The poipu property is much smaller, but has a nicer beach.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 04:26 AM
iceeu2

Samsaf...you will love the Marriot in Lihue. Great location, restaurants, pool...grounds are beautiful. You really can't go wrong.

You probably will not be able to use points until the Courtyard has been up and running for a while.

Old Dec 24th, 2004, 05:13 AM

koa said "The pool is drained, the landscaping looks like hell and there is basically no facilities."

auntiemaria said "As of this week, the pool is renovated and open and all landscaping has been completed (drove by today...driveway and parking lots have been repaved, and the front landscaping looked great)."

Both posts were within 3 hours of each other. Are you talking about the same place???

This is the one on the web site: Kauai Coconut Beach Resort 4-484 Kuhio Hwy, Kapaa, HI.

I sent them an e-mail. Do they normally have weekly rates?

Thanks Auntiemarie (love your name) for posting this. I think I would definitely be interested.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 06:07 AM

Our first stay on Kaua`i was at Coconut Beach Resort many ago and the rates on expedia now appear to be double what they use to be$). The location was the best feature of the property, but as koa indicates the coast is rocky and no one was swimming there when we visited. The shopping/marketplace that is across the street is an oasis but mostly not upscale as to what's on Maui or Oahu. Based on our visit, the hotel was a stop for guests taking multilingual bus tours if man is interested. I look forward to more reviews of the renovated property, as our subsequent visits to Kaua`i have found other properties to exceed what was there.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Budman:

Although koa and I posted at about the same time, his observation of the hotel was about a week or so earlier than mine -- which was this week.

As of this week, the pool and landscaping renovations are complete, and the only guest rooms now being used are the renovated ones.

Renovation of the the restaurant/lounge facilities are due to be completed 2/05.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 06:23 AM

Thanks Auntiemarie. BTW, what are you doing up so early in the morning, Kauai time?

John, no bus tour for me. I'm a rental car and do-it-on-my-own person. I'm thinking North Shore would be better for follow-on trip.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 10:08 AM
iceeu2

Budman, go to marriott.com
The new Courtyard is on there now and about a week ago showed availability in May, 2005. This week you couldn't make reservations online for the Kauai Courtyard.

Old Dec 25th, 2004, 12:04 AM

Re: using your Marriott points, I completely agree with Koa, who rcommended checking on the Waiohai Marriott. Just my humble opinion, of course, but to me, the Lihue Marriott --which always seems crowded, even when it's not--is the antithesis of what I go to Kauai for. The huge pool is beautiful and Kalapaki Beach is great, but there's something about the place that just doesn't give a relaxing vibe. Maybe it's the overhead noise of planes on approach to the airport runways. Marriott Waiohai is on a beautiful stretch of Poipu Beach and is only about 2 yrs old. It is primarily built for timeshare use, but perhaps there are rooms available for use with Marriott points. Perhaps...call Marriott Sales, and get one of those great el cheapo deals if you are willing to spend 2-3 hours of your vacation listening to the sales pitch.
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 05:48 AM

Thanks for all the replies. We've tried to get reservations at the Marriott on Poipu, but everything is booked. I keep calling/going online every few days, however. I also called the sales people (because we are definitely willing to sit through a 90-minute sales pitch for a great deal), but the lady was only interested in selling us a timeshare, not in renting one.

We've stayed at the Hyatt on Poipu and loved it, but we're taking the kids this time, and 5 people can't stay in one room. The rooms at the Hyatt are EXPENSIVE, so we can't afford 2 rooms there.

If anyone knows another way we could stay at the Marriott on Poipu for a lower price, please let me know.

5 months, 10 days, and counting!!!!
Thanks.
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 05:36 PM
koa

SAMSAF- Now that your mentioning bringing the kids, I think the Lihue Marriott is your best bet. They will love the huge pool. Though it does not have a waterslide like the hyatt.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 03:54 AM

I guess I should clarify: When I say "kids," I do mean our kids, but they will be 21, 18 and 16 years old in June! (They do still enjoy a nice pool, though!!!) I love our family vacations, because it's not often any more that we're all together for a whole week!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:44 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Kauai in the summer of 2003 and loved it. We had a 1 bedroom w/ separate LR and 2 full baths overlooking the ocean and used Marriott points to stay there. They have a great location w/ beach and super pool. If you play golf, they are nearby one of the prettiest courses (and they provide transportation there). You can walk (along the beach) to a Duke's restaurant - they have the best Mai-Tai's ever. We already have a week planned there August 2005 and our 23 year old daughter will be going w/ us (there is a sleeper sofa in the LR area).