Flight cancellation due to death of an immediate family member

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2019, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week my brother in low had to cancel his International flight due to death of his father. What is the policy of International airlines for cancellation of flights in case of immediate family member. I think most offer free cancellation ?

How many days difference b/w death and flight date is accepted as free cancellation
Old Feb 10th, 2019, 09:45 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Consider posting the question on the "air travel" forum. I suspect not all airline policies are the same so more particulars (which airline) will be helpful for those who know about such things. Also have a look on the website of the airline in question or call them.
Old Feb 10th, 2019, 10:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Every airline has different rules. Some allow cancellation (usually requiring official documentation of the death). Some will but with a fee of some sort. Some will but with strings attached - like receiving a travel voucher instead of a monetary refund.

Airlines spell out their bereavement/cancellation policies on the websites So which airline was it?

(Having travel insurance would solve this)
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 05:07 PM

as above -all different. One time I had to send the death certificate to Easy jet and got a full refund yet at the same time my international travel was only covered by my travel insurance.
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks

How many days difference b/w death and flight date is accepted for "cancellation "
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by asimm
Thanks

How many days difference b/w death and flight date is accepted for "cancellation "

Again, the Bereavement policy is different for every airline. Contact your airline directly for answers.
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 08:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by asimm
Thanks

We have explained more than once that the policies/rules are different for every airline. WHICH airline did your B-i-L book? Typically they spell out their policies on their websites but if we knew which airline he is dealing with someone might know.
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 03:41 AM

It's already been cancelled by the brother in law who certainly must know the rules by now.. It has taken longer for the OP to post the same question 3 times than to CALL the airline in question and find out. Hmmmm what could that mean?
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 10:30 AM

In fact, I don't think such a policy is stated on most, if any, airlines' websites. If they give death as a possible request to request a refund, I don't think they give further details nor number of days. Most airlines don't even mention the policy on their website.
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 12:37 PM

Here is an interesting article on the subject: https://www.elliott.org/is-this-enou...ssue-a-refund/

And another stating policies for various airlines (it's from 2014, so may have changed). Mostly, it appears to be "refund by exception" rather than a set policy. https://www.consumerreports.org/cons...in-the-family/

Last edited by sludick; Feb 13th, 2019 at 12:42 PM.