American Airlines and Medical Emergencies

Sep 21st, 2009, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

American Airlines and Medical Emergencies

Here's the scenario:
Two people travelling together. One gets admitted to hospital, which causes the pair to miss a return flight.

When American Airlines was contacted to reschedule the flight, the change fee was almost $400. (Orginial cost of roundtrip travel was about $600).

No travel insurance is involved.

Does anyone have experience with American waiving a change fee on compassionate grounds due to a medical emergency?

Thanks in advance -
Sep 21st, 2009, 11:01 AM

Getting American or any airline for that matter to waive the change fee "on compassionate grounds due to a medical emergency" is not the norm.

You purchased a "non-refundable restricted fare ticket" which carries with it a clearly stated policy regarding changes and the fees involved. You voluntarilly assumed the risk of loss associated with a non-refundable ticket and you also decided not to purchase "travel insurance" so, unfortunately, I doubt there is much you can get from the airline.

You might try calling customer service, ask for a supervisor and politely explain your situation offering to provide them with a note from your doctor verifying the medical emergency BUT don't be surprised if the answer you get is "NO".
Sep 21st, 2009, 12:58 PM

Re "no travel insurance" - are you sure that the CC you used to book the tickets doesn't have insurance as a benefit
Sep 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM

This situation is what travel insurance is for. As alanRow says, many credit cards do provide insurance on air ticket purchases. Barring that - you are very likely out of luck.

But miracles do happen . . . .
Sep 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM

I think your chances are better if you call AA (or any airline) BEFORE you miss the flight. If you were just a no show it is very unlikely they will help.

We had UA waive any change fees in a similar situation but I was in touch with them several days before the return flight.
Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:19 AM
Original Poster

I figured it might be a tough battle, but it never hurts to ask about others experiences. I will ask about the credit card coverage, and to be safe they are getting a letter from the hospital.

Thanks for the feedback.
Jul 25th, 2011, 03:38 AM

AA.com will not do squat for you.As an MD on board 2 AA flights as agood smaritan I treated a heart attck(acute MI)
successfully DFW to LAX. Also a grand mal seizure DFW to El
Paso.

I got nothing for my efforts no comps no free flights NOTHING

not even a letter of thanks.

Some applause from fellow passengers though.

If they will do nothing for the MDs they will do nothing for

you... insuremytrip.com always wise file a dispute with CC

might help

I get even by opening 2 AAdvantage cards getting FREE FF

miles booking FREE flights this time to Paris then closing

the card... just did this headed to Paris next april yea!

Do not get mad get even.
Jul 25th, 2011, 08:49 AM

Not relevant to this OP, but as an MD on a AA flight to London several years ago, my DH looked at a passenger who was in obvious distress; luckily it was more of a gastric problem than a heart issue and the flight continued on. He was thanked profusely by the cabin staff and given a bottle of wine as we departed. I would hesitate to condemn an entire airline with the post by QV, quite unnecessary IMHO. As to the OP, good luck with your situation.
Jul 25th, 2011, 09:26 AM

"As to the OP, good luck with your situation."

The OP posted two years ago . . .

(the thread was topped by an advertiser)
Jul 25th, 2011, 02:22 PM

Oops, fell for that one again, I really should look at the dates. So my next question is why is this person allowed to keep posting all those advertising links?
Jul 25th, 2011, 03:24 PM

"So my next question is why is this person allowed to keep posting all those advertising links?"

He isn't The advertiser was zapped by the editors. See the >>Comments have been removed by Fodor's moderators<< entry.

QV probably didn't notice the dates either and posted his normal double spaced, unusual syntax response.
Jul 26th, 2011, 10:33 PM

"unusual"? More like unreadable.

and PS, a good Samaritan helps out of the kindness of his heart. if you hope for pay or rewards, you should negotiate first....