Cheap but good travel insurance

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please advise about travel insurance - insuring the price of the ticket in case of emergency or illness???
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:25 PM

STA if you meet age limits think its 55http://www.statravel.com or if your older Insure my trip which in general runs around 300-400 to Stas 135.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:35 PM

www.insuremytrip.com to compare prices and policy coverage.

Another thought, do you really need travel insurance for an airline ticket? In general, you can pay a change fee and the remaining value of your ticket is still valid for 1 year from the original issue date. Or do you think you wouldn't use it within one year?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:45 PM
P_M

I'm with Patty, the cost of insuring a plane ticket is probably about the same as what you'll lose if you have to change it.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM

I have to respectfully disagree with the above replies.

Let's take a $1000 plane ticket from US to Europe.

Airlines charge abnywhere from $100-$250 cancellation fee for international tickets and then you are stuck with that airline and the credit has to be used within a year when the original ticket was non-refundable.

You can get a full replacement travel insurance for the same ticket for $50-$75. Besides the full replacement they also throw in some medical and baggage insurance as well as life insurance. Medical evacutaion, which could be very expensive is also part of the deal.

One warning about travel insurance - Make sure you read the policy VERY carefully. These policies have very strict rules and regulations as to what's an acceptable trip cancellation.

You or your SO in the hospital - then yes,

your aunt not feeling too good and needs somebody to watch over her or your dog just got hit by a car - NO!

I can't stress enough of carefully studying the policy.

Usually they give you 14 day to cancel the policy upon receiving the actual paperwork.

ASAIK, another important rule is that you have to buy the policy within 14 days after you purchase the ticket and it has to be so many days before you take the trip.....
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:12 PM

I don't know what the age limit is for STA, but we have used them twice and are in our 60's and early 70's. They are much cheaper than what we had been using on insuremytrip.
I have carefully read their policy and also talked to them on the phone. We have not had to file a claim, but from what I have learned, their coverage is equal to what we had paid much higher premiums for previously.