First visit to DC - Spring Break

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to DC March 24-28 - first time visitors with 2 kids, ages 16 & 11. After reading many posts, I'm still undecided about a hotel. We're planning to do as many touristy things as possible and I'm planning to bid on Priceline. I'm leaning toward bidding DT/WH zone hoping to get Capital Hilton (husbands a hilton diamond member). Does this area have many good restaurants? How covenient is it to the Metro? Would the Capital Hill or Dupont Circle zones be better? From what I've read we could end up at a nice but inconvenient hotel in the Dupont Circle zone. Opinions please???
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:48 AM

The Dupont zone is now called Dupont/Woodley Park and two hotels that I've on in that area (Omni Shoreham and Marriott Woodley Park) are absolutely not Dupont area.

I've had good luck bidding for a 3* in the Convention Center/Cap Hill area; it's so small that you don't take the chance of being far from the Metro, as is possbile with the Downtown/WH zone.

I'm sure you're aware that PL guarantees rooms for two people, and that if you bid for just one there's a (small) chance that you won't get a room with 2 beds.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

So the locations of the 3* hotels in the CC/CH zone are better than the 4* in DT/WH? I am aware of PL policies as far as beds go. In the past that's kept me from using them; but I decided to take a chance and in the past 2 years I've used them for NY, Chicago, and San Francisco. Maybe I've just had good luck (and nice front desk clerks) but I've always been given 2 beds. Calling ahead, then smiling and asking politely when you arrive seems to help.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:26 AM

In Capitol Hill area, the Holiday Inn on New Jersey Ave is VERY convenient to the Metro - a 6-10 minute walk. I do it with a rolling suitcase, so I can fly into Reagan, hop the Metro, change to Red Line and walk to hotel in about 45 minutes.

Go online to the DCMetro (sorry, not sure about website, but it's easy) and check out the maps. You might be able to download. Most hotels indicate how far they are from Metro stops. AAA book shows them on maps, for reference.

Metro is THE way to go. Get one-day passes (were $5, may be more now) and you can get on and off anywhere, all day (except rush hour during week). It is the BEST deal; best part, if you mess up and get on the wrong platform at interchanges, you can scoop up and over, and it's all on the pass. If you make 3-4 trips a day, it works out about the same, costwise, and is so much easier than calculating fares and buying individual fare cards.

Of course, the Smithsonian. The National Zoo is easily accessed by Metro (go to their website).

The monuments, especially at dusk or evening, are beautiful. Vietnam and Korean War monuments are moving; please be respectful - not everyone is. The monuments are a bit of a walk from the nearest Metro, but well worth it. It's a long walk from Vietnam/Lincoln to Jefferson and Roosevelt, but on a nice day, it's beautiful.

The weather should be really good for walking and wandering. You may see the beginnings of the cherry blossoms. You may also be there for the Annual Kite Festival, on the hill by the WAshington Monument - a great time.

Many good restaurants in the area you're considering, and all over. Try taking the Metro to Chinatown - see the arch, visit a great restaurant, then head to the historic district.

Get a good book from your library (or two, or three) and get the feel for the city now, and get a good map and Metro map, and prepare yourselves in advance. But leave time for wandering and gawking. Because of the limitations on the heights of buildings, it's not an overwhelming city to wander.

If you have time, take the bus over to Arlington - that's a full half-day, eaasily.Contact your Congressman for passes for a White House tour, if that's something you're interested in.

When considering accommodations, my primary goal is to be within a 3-5 block walk of a Metro station. Or, stay at one with shuttle service to the Metro stop. There are several in Arlington/Pentagon (I think) area that provide that service.

I'm an NOT a city person, but I love DC. Have fun!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:17 AM

No amount of calling ahead and smiling will get you 2 beds if they're not available. This is much less of a risk in DC than in NYC, where the average room size is smaller.

In fact, I once won the Marriott Metro Center on PL, called to ask whether I could get two beds, was promised them, and thus went ahead and added a third family member to our group. When we got there, the hotel staff went out of their way to get us a room that had two beds plus space for a rollaway so neither kid had to share.

IMHO, a 10-minute walk is not VERY convenient to the Metro -- for me, that's a half-mile!

The Metro web site is www.wmata.com. Check out their various passes to figure out what your best deal might be. Don't forget that taxis in DC are fairly cheap, especially for a group of 4 they could be cheaper than 4 Metro fares, and will save time and energy if your origin or destination isn't especially close to a Metro stop (e.g., mnuments).

A better source for DC maps with hotels on is www.stationmasters.com. Have fun!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

I would like to be closer than a half-mile to a metro. I love big cities and enjoy walking on a nice day but don't want to waste too much time on our short visit. I just wanted to be sure the DT/WH zone on Priceline would be the best way to go for 1st timers. Thanks for the responses so far.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:04 PM

When I've bid on the DT/WH zone, I've always gotten the Hilton--can't remember if it's on 14th or 16th.