Georgetown Suites Hotel in Washington, DC

Old May 26th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Georgetown Suites Hotel in Washington, DC

Is Georgetown Suites Hotel near the metro or a bus line? We are elderly people who would like to be close to transportation for visiting Washington sites. Any other budget suggestions? Thanks!
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Here is a link to Google Maps showing the Georgetown Suites Hotel (green arrow) and the closest metro stops (red teardrops)- Foggy Bottom and Dupont Circle: http://tinyurl.com/qcgkm4

Georgetown proper is lovely for strolling, shopping, and dining, but doesn't have a metro stop (the local residents rejected it when the metro first went in to keep their area exclusive; at least local lore claims that's why.) Georgetown is historical and upscale with beautiful houses. The main drag turns into party central on weekend nights, but the rest of the neighborhood is lovely.

Georgetown is not the most convenient for easy access to public transportation. You can walk to a metro stop but it isn't an easy stroll, especially if you are planning to visit DC in our gloriously (sarcasm intended) hot and humid summer weather. Of course, most of the Georgetown hotels are sure to have shuttle vans that will take you to a metro stop, so you might just call them and see how often they run.

Other ideas:

Many people like to stay in Rosslyn, Virginia (mostly high rises- not charming but a businessy area- safe and fine) because there is a metro stop right there, cheaper prices, and you can walk across the Key Bridge into Georgetown, and you are right near Arlington Cemetery and the Iwo jima memorial. Lots of hotel selection here- all the big chains.

I always put in a plug for my hometown, Alexandria, Virginia, a charming colonial town on the Potomac with hotels (Wyndham, Embassy Suites, Hilton) right next to the King Street Metro stop that will take you into DC (but it does take about half an hour). There is a brand new Hampton Inn a couple of short blocks down King Street (the shopping and dining main street of Alexandria) that looks very nice and is an easy walk to the metro. The more upscale Lorien Hotel and Spa (Kimpton Group) just opened in this area, too. Alexandria is great for walking, looking at charming colonial architecture, visiting historic sites, shopping, and dining. You can even take a river cruise to Mt Vernon. (Yes, I love my hometown!)

If you are looking for a hotel right near a metro stop for a decent rate, I have had friends stay at the Jury's Hotel at Dupont Circle. I think they got a deal for around 150 per night, steps from the metro stop, and they said it was pretty nice. Lots of restaurants and charming homes in the Dupont area, along with a great small private modern art museum, The Phillips Collection.

Here is a great link from the DC metrorail system: http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm
It uses Google maps and you can zoom in, find an area you want to visit (say the Smithsonian) then find the closest metro stop, click on the dot for the stop and "search nearby" for hotels to see what is close to the stop. Or...follow the color of the metro line for the stop a little further from the tourist areas to see what hotels are near stops on the same line.

Another excellent transportation option for touring that gets you out of the metro crowds is the hop-on-hop-off DC Circulator bus system that has routes that loop around tourist sites. You could look for hotels near their stops, too.

Good luck and have a great trip.
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM

The Circulator bus has pretty good service to Georgetown. IIRC, the loop that goes around the National Mall runs only on weekdays.
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

The DC Circulator sounds like a good way to get around. If I am going from the Georgetown Suites to the Smithsonian museums, do I have to transfer buses and do I pay again when I transfer? I thought I read that if you have a Smartrip card you don't have to pay each time you tranfer to a different loop? Where do you buy Smartrip cards for senior citizens? Thanks for all the help, as you can see, we are clueless!
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM

Senior Smartrip cards: http://www.wmata.com/fares/smartrip/senior.cfm

Circulator fare info: http://www.dccirculator.com/ticket.html
(looks like you are correct on changing to different loops.)
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:35 PM

Yes, you will have to transfer on the Circulator to get to the Smithsonian. The stretch from Gtown to where you will transfer is also the most congested part of the route, which means it could take awhile to get to the Mall.

Given your needs, Gtown is not a very good choice because it just isn't very convenient.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:49 PM

Georgetown Suites is NOT in Georgetown - we stayed there 5 years ago. It is very close to Georgetown (a couple of blocks) and about 4 blocks from Foggy Bottom metro stop. They did not have a shuttle when we stayed there. After a day of sightseeing, those 4 blocks seemed long to us in the summer heat - so you might find a place a little closer to a stop.

We loved the hotel for our purposes - 4 had 2 teens and there was plenty of room for us all to spread out. Only complaint was that some of the common-area furnishings and carpeting was a little "tired" - but hopefully in the years since it has been replaced.
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

We will be using a combination of the DC Circulator, the metrobus and the metrorail. Is there one pass that I can buy ahead of time to use on all 3?