Recommend a tour in Page AZ/Lake Powell

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 2 nights in Page and are looking for suggestions on the best things to do.
We have time for several things if we time it right.
Rainbow Bridge 1/2 Day Tour?
Antelope Canyon...Upper Canyon? Or Lower Canyon?
CO River float trip?
Tours by Air?
Anything on seeing the Navajo culture?
Other suggestions and/or names of outfitters would be appreciated!!!!
(Family with 2 boys...13 and 8---going in June)

THANKS!
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:32 AM

Hi KenInPA,

Just got onto the website and saw your post. We spent a week in Page and did a 1/2 day on a boat trip that went around Lake Powell and we hiked to Rainbow Bridge and then returned; a 1/2 day float trip down the Colorado and did Antelope Canyon (plan on 1/2 day - with getting there on time)- I believe you want the upper canyon - the lower I think is more for professional photographers. I know the Navajo's have just opened a new cultural center/museum but not sure where on the nation it is. It is early in Tucson, and I was checking something else on the website. Give me an hour or two and I will check out the outfits I used - they were excellent.
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:31 AM

We were in Page in June of 2006 so somethings may be different but absolutely do the float trip - there is a stop and the boys can take a dip in the Colorado and you can hike to see some petroglyphs. First and foremost remember you will be in a higher altitude and in AZ be sure to have plenty of sunscreen and hats for everyone. The weather can be quite hot and/or you can get the monsoon rains during the time you will be there. The Navajo's have a new website - DISCOVERNAVAJO.COM . You can get info from them. The Navajo nation maintains Daylight Savings Time unlike the state of AZ - so be sure you know what time your tour will be on.

We used Lake Powell Scenic Cruises for our day boat trip - it was an all day trip and included a box lunch. You pick the trip up in the Lake Powell Resort Hotel. I think there is only one company in Page that does the float trip - just google it and you should be able to find the info. The float trip is a half day down the Colorado (really the beginning of the Grand Canyon. Starts just below the dam and is definitly worth it as is Antelope Canyon. Consider a hike to Horseshoe Bend - do it early in the morning because it is hot during the summer - the float trip takes you around this; Antelope Canyon - we can highly recommend "Chief Tsosie's tour" 928-645-5594....small group and individual attention and the drive is in an SUV vs flat bed truck with a dozen or so others - try to get Vere - she is wonderful. Also, the hike to Horseshoe Bend (Do it early in the morning before it gets too hot - you will see where the float trip goes). The Dam tour is pretty interesting and the boys would probably enjoy the visitors center just north of the Dam on the west side of the road for Escalante National Monument. The people there offer a wealth of information about the discoveries that are being made there - in particular, new Dinosaur digs - it was really facinating. Hope this is of some help Two days isn't much time but good luck with it. Had to pull this together really fast since we leave tomorrow for our trip.
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Tucsoncoors (BTW, have a great trip whereever you are headed). Sounds like we could take the float trip in the a.m., then tour the dam, and then visit the Navajo "museum" in the pm (from the website you gave they have a 630pm "tour" and dinner. The next morning we could stop by Horseshoe Bend in the a.m. before we head off to the Northrim of the Grand Canyon.

Does anyone know of a good Lake Powell beach near Page for the middle of the day?
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

OR is mid-afternoon still okay to go to Antelope Canyon??
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, there is only one concessionaire for the Boat Tours on Lake Powell and Float trips out of Page, AZ. http://www.lakepowell.com/index.cfm for boat tours and http://www.raftthecanyon.com/ for float trips. I think you can make reservations though other sites.

I highly recommend doing both the all day boat tour on Lake Powell to Rainbow Bridge (1/2 days is good to but you see get to go down different canyons on the all day) and the Float trip on the Colorado River down to Lee's Ferry.

Upper Antelope Slot Canyon tours is another must and can be booked at several different locations. I'm with tucsoncoors, I'd recommend one of the tours that uses an airconditioned suburban and the short hike to Horseshoe Canyon overlook.

I've never done a Tour by Air.

Utahtea
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Ken- If you want to catch the light streaming through the slot canyon, and it's really pretty too, you might want to take the short hike to Horseshoe Canyon Overlook in the early morning, then do the slot canyon around 10-10:30 and take the afternoon 1/2 day float trip. We did this and even had time for lunch at the burger place...I can't remember the name...shoot. The tour operators are all together by that one mall with the grocery store in it, darn it, I can't remember that name either. Sorry, I hope this was helpful. Our day in Page was on of the best so you'll enjoy what ever you do, cheers!
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Utahtea, (or anyone) do you know how rough the ride is on the lake? My wife sometimes gets motion sickness on boats. That's why I was thinking the 1/2 day Lake Powell to Rainbow Bridge thru the new cut in the canyon.
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:20 PM

We visited Antelope Canyon in the mid afternoon and it was great. This was in September and we were in a group that included the guide and one other couple. We just drove into the parking lot and got on the tour. The guide said that it was very crowded at noon, so going then was actually quite nice. I have a couple of pictures I took at www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009/sets