Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is it crazy to stay in Maryland and visit D.C.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband will be in Silver Springs Maryland (I think this is the Baltimore area) on business for 4 days in June. My daughter and I thought we might stay with him and commute into D.C. to sightsee. Is this going to be too difficult to do? What is the best way to get into Washington, DC from there? Train?
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 08:04 AM

Silver Springs is in the DC metropolitan area, a long way from Baltimore. I think that a session with Google would be enlightening.

When I worked in the District I drove in from Maryland (Cheverly); when I last visited, there was a very nice commuter train covering the same trip. My guess...and it is a guess...is that there is excellent public transportation between SS and the tourist areas of the District.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Silver Spring is a fairly close-in (comparatively) DC suburb (but not really that suburban - more urban). You can take the red line on the Metro and get to the Verizon Center or Metro Center and easily walk to the museums and Mall.

I would suspect that the hotel would have a shuttle to the Metro station if your hotel isn't walking distance away from it.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 08:13 AM
JJ5

If you are that accessible to the red line Metra than you can transfer nearly anywhere to sightsee quite easily. The train time might be a bit more, but the systems are extremely easy to use and understand. I found the easiest of any system in the USA I have come across yet.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 08:24 AM

Here is a link to Wash DC Metro

www.wmata.com

Click on the Metro maps
Look for the RED Metro rail line
See Silver Sprngs upper right side on a Red clored Metro line.

You can transfer between the colored lines and as long as you can get from Hotel (or wherever you are staying in Siver Springs)to the Silver Springs Metro stop, (by bus, walking, cab, hotel shuttle) as the other posters said you an get to most all the major sight seeing in WasH Dc. within walling distances

Fodors also has a nice travel book on Wash DC with Metro map/stop and sight seeing info
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 10:39 AM

My DH and I just stayed with family in Rockville, MD, one stop closer to DC on the Red Line, for 6 nights. It's a bit more than 30 minutes from Rockville to Union Station, and less to Metro Center. We enjoyed the ease of getting on the Metro and making plans on the trip in, and then being able to unwind a bit on the way back to Rockville in the evenings. We bought the week pass for $39pp, which allowed us unlimited travel, even during peak times. Morning peak is until 9:30 a.m., so if you want to get an early start somewhere, you'd need to be on the train earlier than that.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Whoops--I had Silver Spring confused with Shady Grove, which is one stop past Rockville on the other end of the Red Line. You appear to be even closer to DC from Silver Spring than Rockville. I think commuting in is certainly doable.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:31 AM

I agree. Silver Spring (proper) is right on the DC/MD border and is an easy subwasy ride into downton DC.

What is the adress of where your husband is staying?

The actual town of Silver Spring and the "greater Silver Spring postal area" are two quite different animals. The former is convenient, the latter (depending of the actual distance from actrual Silver Spring) may be quite inconvenient.

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM

Silver Spring hugs the Washngton northern border and is convenient to getting around Washington. It has a subway stop.

bardo is correct that many areas that aren't really Silver Spring are given that postal address. When I met my wife she lived in apartments closer to Langley Park than Silver Spring but her address was officially Silver Spring. Silver Spring and Langley Park are socially, ethnically and economically worlds apart although near each other physically.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 04:49 AM

Bardo is right on about Silver Spring. If you are looking at the DT Silver Spring area, there are several nice hotels (including newish Marriott Courtyard) a and a good variety of dining options -- plus the Metro ride is 14 minutes to Union Station.

It's very easy and quite do-able.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Depending on where you are staying in Silver Spring, you will either be located near the Silver Spring metro stop (downtown Silver Spring) or the Forest Glen metro stop (very close to the beltway) or the Glenmont metro stop (a few miles outside the beltway). All these stops are on the red line and will take you fairly easily into downtown DC. It is not crazy in any way at all to visit DC as this will offer a lot more in the way of tourist attractions then Silver Spring!
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 10:03 PM

... except there's no lodging near Forest Glen or Glenmont Metro stops.

DT Silver Spring is really the best option.