Alexandria, VA hotel

Old Sep 26th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Alexandria, VA hotel

Three generations traveling to Washington Oct. 29-31 to attend the Stewart/Colbert rallies. Since hotels in the city, that I can find, are booked/very expensive, we are planning to stay over in Alexandria. Have looked at the Sheraton Suites, which is downtown, I think, and the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center which I think is outside town. which would you recommend or are their other choices in that price range - $125-$175.

thanks
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Should have added, how would we negotiate metro system to get to the National Mall.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 08:44 AM

The Mark Center is no where close to a subway. The Sheraton is in north Old Town, also not particularly close to Metro. There are several hotels right across from the Metro on King Street. You might try the Marriott Key Bridge (Arlington) which is old and tired, but right across the river from DC and a few blocks from the Roslyn Metro Station which has the Orange and Blue lines. It is well within your budget (but parking is expensive). Also, try the Biltmore in DC (Foggy Bottom). My brother stayed there, it was wonderfully located and a real bargain. (Try that first)

And good for you for coming in! 3 gerations, awesome! See you there!
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

thanks. I'm googling Biltmore hotel Washington DC and getting no results. What am I doing wrong? We'd love to be in the city.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 08:58 AM

As con_brio stated, the Mark Center is not close to a Metro stop, however, the Sheraton Suites at 801 N. St. Asaph Street is only 1/2 mile from the Braddock Road Metro. While I see the hotel offers a free shuttle, that distance should be easy to walk. Braddock Road is on both the Blue and Yellow Lines, so that gives you two choices for getting into D.C. I know nothing about the hotel itself, but based on its location to Metro and the excellent reviews it gets on Trip Advisor, it may be a good choice for you.
Check the the Metro's website, www.wmata.com for info on using Metro. It's got a good Trip Planner feature which will tell you how to get where you want to go, how long it will take and how much it will cost.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 09:07 AM

Sorry,it is the Melrose at 2430 Pa Ave NW. I just looked at the rack rate which is double what you want to spend, but try Priceline. I think you could walk to the Mall from there if everyone in your group is fairly fit. (Taxis in DC are cheap) Also, check out the Holiday Inn Arlington Ballston which is $189 rack rate. Good luck!
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Longhorn is right. I completely forgot about the Braddock Rd Metro. I know that Sheraton (from meetings and such, have never stayed there) and it is fine. There is also a Holiday Inn in that immediate neighborhood. And you can walk by the River into Old Town Alex which is fun. Are you all getting to DC by car or flying/training in?
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Wow. impressive how fast you get answers here and how specific they are. Thanks. will try the suggestions and check the metro route. We are driving in and I know parking at any hotel will be $20-$30 per night. Just seems to go with the territory.

I'm the grandmother in the 3 generations. Used to take my kids to DC to march for equal rights. Now, having lowered my sights, we will take grandkids to march for simple sanity.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:05 PM

That is so great. These are important lessons for all. I just got back from an art class in Old Town Alex. My teacher teaches another class near the Sheraton and Holiday Inn. She said that she gives a ride to her students who take the Metro there back to Metro after dark because it isn't safe to walk. You have to go through some dicey neighborhoods. Try the Arlington ones (or try to get a good price at the Melrose--it's a suite with a hide a bed).
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:16 PM

We stay at the Embassy Suites in Alexandria when we visit DC It is across the street from the King St Metro station and a short walk to Old Town Alexandria.

http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_...NT3YCSGBJNM22Q
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:16 PM

I'd agree that the trip from the Sheraton Suites to Braddock Rd Metro is not an inspiring one, bordering on the feeling of unsafe.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 09:08 PM

Also, Hampton Inn which is another King St. Metro Hotel. I'd stay here or Embassy Suites over the Sheraton or Holiday Inn for a shorter safer walk to Metro.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 05:09 AM

I agree with Rich and con_brio about the Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn and Hiltion Alexandria, all in walking distance to the King Street Metro.

In addition, there is:
1. Monaco Alexandria located at 480 King Street;
2. Residence Inn Marriott Carlyle at 2345 Mill Road; and
3. Lorien Hotel at 1600 King Street

these are all within walking distance to the King Street Metro, although I believe the Monaco and Residence both have shuttles.

Happy travel!

jdc
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 07:04 AM

The OP's price points are $125-$175 so I would wager that the hotels listed in the above post are out of that range.

Sydney could try hotels in Crystal City and Rosslyn which are slightly closer to downtown though less scenic stays. Rates there frequently drop on weekends as they are primarily business hotels.

If you've got a booking at the Sheraton for that rate I'd take it. There's a supermarket and a number of restaurants immediately near by and the rest of Old Town is a close walk.

The Sheraton offers a shuttle to the King Street metro and also Reagan National Airport which also has a metro station.

For clarity, the walk from the Sheraton to the Braddock Road metro station is an easy one. It's part urban warehousey but primarily a trip through Alexandria's historic subsidized housing project known as the Berg. (anyone see Remember the Titans?)

I've walked that route frequently during the day but not at night so I guess I'd defer to the other comments here. There's also a bus you can catch from Braddock Rd that goes very close to the Sheraton but the number escapes me at the moment.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 09:04 AM

It's the walk at night that my teacher warned me about. I'd choose Rosslyn over Crystal City. the Key Bridge Marriott does have good rates, they can walk across to Georgetown, it's not too far from Ray's Hellburger (Obamas eated there twice), and easy access to the Metro.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 09:43 AM

I spent a lot of time making reservations for this event a couple weeks ago and finally decided on the Hyatt in Arlington (but it's a lot more than your budget). There's a lot going on in DC this particular weekend so reasonably priced rooms seem to be limited.