DC hotels near the metro

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

DC hotels near the metro

I have looked at previous threads on the subject, but am overwhelmed. DH and I are considering a 3-4 day trip to DC around December 27. We are looking for a 3-4 star hotel within easy walking distance to a close-in metro station, preferably with breakfast included. (Due to a foot problem, walking more than 3-4 blocks at a time is painful. However, strolling along, looking at exhibits, does not bother me.) Prices seem to be very favorable at this time of year. We would like to keep it under $140. per night. We are not interested in room service, indoor pool, in-hotel dining, or even proximity to great restaurants. (Great dining is not one of our interests.) We may or may not have a car. Haven't decided whether to fly or drive. Thanks for your advice.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:22 AM

If you can live without the breakfast, I'd suggest the Jury's Hotel at DuPont Circle, the Marriott Metro Center (right on top of the Metro Center Metro) or the Hotel Monaco (near Gallery Place).

Realize you are going to have to do some walking in DC regardless of what you do and a 3-4 block walk from a Metro station is typical for many DC "must sees."

If you insist on a breakfast, then I'd suggest the Embassy Suites at Chevy Chase. It is also on top of a Metro station (Friendship Heights) but a distance from the main attractions.

Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:27 AM

I was also thinking of the Jury's in Dupont Circle (it's called the Jury's Washington Hotel), it's a great area in which to stay. As for breakfast, be aware that the Dupont Circle area is awash in places to have breakfast, so perhaps having it included won't matter that much to you; I'd rather have a shorter metro ride back to my hotel in the evening, myself. You should be able to get a room at Jury's for, oh, $125. You could also check the Tabard Inn.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Tabard Inn is not "near" the Metro for gracie's purposes.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:30 AM

We stayed a few yrs ago at L'enfant Plaza - a Loews - the metro was underneath, the rooms immaculate and huge, there was a restaurant but I do not remember if breakfast was inlcuded, there was also a continental type breakfast cart in the lobby - stores and metro below.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

MikeT and NewbE -- thank you for your suggestions. I was trying to think of the hotel atop a metro station --Embassy Suites at Chevy Chase. Approximately how long is the travel time from that stop to the main attractions? When we went to Las Vegas last December, I learned DH likes to go all day without returning to the room until bed time. I know DC isn't like Vegas, but he will prefer to be on the go all day, so being at an outer stop on the metro won't matter to him. (We have only been married two years so I am adjusting to his travel habits.)
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Friendship Heights is probably 15-20 minutes from the core of the city.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:42 AM

The downside of the Embassy Suites at Friendship Heights is that the surrounding neighborhood is dull. If you are closer to the city, you will feel like you are "in the city." Friendship Heights will be like any upper-scale shopping area.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:04 AM

I've stayed at both the ES at Friendship Heights and at the Marriott Metro Center. The amount of walking that you have to do to get from a typical room and onto the Metro train is actually a little less at the Marriott, because of the way you have to go through the mall and underground at the ES.

And at Metro Center you can choose between lines, thus possibly reducing the walking that you'd have to do for transfers.

I found the staff at the Marriott Metro Center to be very accommodating and they would probably get you a room that's convenient to the elevator if you ask for it.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:08 AM

I just stayed at the Marriott Metro Center and it was extremely convenient. I paid the Senior Rate of $131. per night.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:11 AM
TC

We love The Hotel Monaco. Very near main sights with metro access right across the street.

http://www.monaco-dc.com/
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

I was at a family wedding all weekend and have just now read all the replies. Thank you MikeT, Escargot, NewbE, anonymous, Susie QQ and TC. I appreciate all your help. Hope I didn't leave anyone out.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:13 AM

How nice to be thanked! You're welcome, gracie, it was my pleasure.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 03:19 PM

I suggest the Morrison Clark Inn, about 3 blocks from the Mount Vernon metro stop. It's a beautiful hotel (on the National Register of Historic Places) and great location. You can find inexpensive breakfast in the area. Great hotel deals at this web site www.crshotels.com