COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

How is Spring Break weather in San Francisco?

Old Aug 11th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

How is Spring Break weather in San Francisco?

Hi all --

We have spring break in late March. How is the weather then in San Francisco? We've never been there, and I'd like to go, but our only choices (due to work and my kids' ball games) are spring break or late July. Which is better? Thanks.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Temp wise they may not be that different--the biggest difference will be rain (Spring) and fog (Summer). If you don't mind slogging--Spring can be beautiful.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 01:48 PM

A couple of years ago (think it was 2 years ago) most spring days in SF were beautiful. But weather patterns are never predictable of course. I actually prefer spring versus July in that there are so many tourists in SF in July. And yes either time can be wonderful weatherwise or not. But it is always a very good idea to pack so that you can layer your clothes. And different areas of SF tend to have different weather patterns.

To get you started kansasmom, here is the website for the SF Chronical. You might want to bookmark it for review as you get closer to your visit.
http://www.sfgate.com/ Best regards.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link. Is there usually a lot of rain in late March? I'm just starting to "research" SF as a destination for us, so any help is appreciated. If anyone has hotel suggestions, that would be great too.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 03:40 PM
dmlove

San Francisco has a "rainy season" which runs from early November to late April (can start earlier and end later, but those are months it often rains). However, it's impossible to say how much it will rain in any particular month -- it's very unpredictable.

Old Aug 11th, 2007, 05:25 PM

We were in San Franciscolast year the week of St; Patrick's Day and really had beautiful weather the whole week. But when it comes to weather, you can never be certain no matter where you go. But I have been to San Francisco over a half dozen times, during different times of the year, and always had a great time. It's a great city, just go with the right attitude and you'll be fine.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 09:14 PM

that the problem with san francisco - you just never know what the weather might bring. you're always safe to bring a warm jacket though.
i think it was mark twain who said - the coldest winter he ever spent was august in san francisco. (or something to that effect).
but there is of course, so much more to san francisco than the weather!
don't forget to look for "bush man" at the warf if you get the chance.
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

I didn't mean to make it sound like we are going to SF specifically to find good weather; we just are hoping to be able to see the sights. If there is at least a decent chance of that, then it's all good.
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 11:26 AM

Hi kansasmom, our weather is so unusual I have no idea what kind of weather you will have in March. For example where I live (n/e of SF) we should be having triple digit temps..but it has been so mild I have only had the a/c on a couple of times this summer. Not complaining of course, but it is odd.

I love SF and always enjoy SF regardless of the weather but of course lovely weather is always the nicest. Perhaps wait and see how the weather pattern appears and make your reservations later rather than now. Not much help I know.

When I go to SF I always make sure I have at least a jacket and I dress in layers. NorthBeach can be sunny, the western portion can be foggy, Market St., and the financial district can be cold and windy etc. All on the same day! And yes March can be rainy but it also can be beautiful.
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 07:16 PM

When we were there in Mid-May, we needed fleece jackets or some type of warm clothing. However, it was very enjoyable. I took a group of graduating seniors...they had a blast!
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 07:04 AM

San Francisco has the most unpredictable and changing-est weather of anywhere I have visited (and I live in Seattle!). Either time could get your glorious sunny days or pouring rain, or some of each, or anything in between.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 08:30 AM

We went late March 2005 for our spring break. I had a short light wool coat and a sweater. I wore one one day and one the other. Some days were in the 60's in the afternoon and felt warm in the sun. We had great weather. But you can't predict what the weather will be. I would say it sprinkled one day in our week there. It was also warm enough to walk everywhere (that wasn't straight up hill of course!)
I thought it was a great time to go. Enjoy!
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 02:23 PM

Spring can be chilly but not on par with Kansas! Bring layers and you will be fine. BTW, good article on things to do with kids in SF at this site
www.crshotels.com
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Spirng Break in San Francisco? Hmmm, I might enjoy it, but I don't think you'll enjoy the wet tee shirt contests. *LOL

Actually, SF is a wonderful city. I love it. My last visit was in late February and we had awesome weather: 60's and sunny, not a drop of rain over four days.