COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Best hotel in DC for senior travellers?

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 04:23 PM
Arabella

Best hotel in DC for senior travellers?

Would you recommend Jurys Washington Hotel? From a map, it looks very near the Dupont Circle Metro. When I called, they told me that were the hotel that was nearest a Metro station in DC. True? Is there a more convenient location for older tourists?

Thanks!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Christina

I'm sure there are others about the same distance, that's a bunch of hype. Yes, they are close but so are others. In fact, there are a couple now that I think of it that have metro entrances right in the hotel (I think the Marriott at Metro Center and Loew's L'enfant plaza for two). Also, I think the Hilton Embassy Row and Radisson Barcelo on P St. are about the same distance from the Dupont Circle Metro as Jury's. Marriott Wardman is very near the Woodley Park metro stop.

I think the St James Suites hotel near Foggy Bottom metro could be better for older tourists because that metro station isn't as scary as Dupont Circle. It's only about a block from the metro station, a flat walk. There aren't as many restaurants around there, however. The Dupont Circle metro station stairs are about the steepest and longest metro station stairs in the world I've read, and I believe it. I'm not a senior but frankly, it scares me sometimes to be on those stairs (vertigo), I just don't look down. The ones on the southern entrance are better, even if maybe a little farther away.

I think there are also hotels very near the convention center and metro stations over there. Holiday Inn near the Air & Space museum is just as close, it's less than a block to a metro station. The Mayflower is a very nice hotel, if budget is no problem, and it's as close or closer to a metro stop, one not as steep as Dupont (Farrugut North). Anyway, their statement isn't true. A lot of folks seem to like the Marriott, I might choose it or the Mayflower. It really depends if you want absolute minimum distance to a metro stop, or just within a couple blocks of one.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 07:09 AM
crys

Christina is right about the Dupont Circle metro stop. The escalators are steep, and not always in working order, which could mean a very challenging walk up or down for a senior. There are elevators, but they don't always work and they make me very uneasy in any event. Marriott at Metro Center is right above a metro stop, and several hotels in Crystal City also are easy to the Metro. I'd avoid Loew's L'Enfant Plaza---that part of town has become rather nasty looking and smelly, IMHO.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Stephanie P.

Arabella:

I once stayed at the Holiday Inn in Rosslyn, Virginia. Nice hotel, just across bridge from D.C. Rosslyn metro stop is near it (2-3 blocks) and so are many restaurants. At least check it out and it's location. I just remember the walk to metro wasn't long at all.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 07:32 AM
JP

I highly recommend staying at metro Center, I have always had wonderful experiences at the Grand Hyatt - the climate control lux. to and from the Metro, the hotel staff- within minutes with cliamte control comfort you are on any of the Metro lines - call the hotel for best prices, or folks at this site have had success at gambling for room prices on one of the .com sites (not my expertise)