Trip to So California

Search

Trip to So California

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to So California

My son has moved to Newport Beach in November and we are visiting him in early May. Can anyone help me with things we should see and suggestions regarding hotels. We are not amusement park people. We do like biking, exploring, beach and would like to see touristy stuff in LA. Thank you so much for suggestions
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:20 AM

Definitely take advantage of the beaches. Go rollerblading or biking on the boardwalks. Check out the museums in Orange County: Orange County Museum of Art is in Newport Beach near Fashion Island, but I think the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana is more interesting. LA has a plethora of museums - I love Miracle Mile along Wilshire - you've got LA County Museum (which is phenomenal and way better than the Getty, IMO). The Petersen Automotive Museum is across the street. Of course, the Getty is always on every tourist guide.

Do you like to go hiking? Lots and lots of coastal and inland parks to go hiking or mountainbiking. Not sure if you're staying in The OC or up in LA....
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:26 AM

How long will you be there? Newport is a lovely, ritzy place, but it's a bit spread-out. It would help if you knew some major cross-streets near your son's place.

There are some very high-end places, like the Hyatt Regency, the Four Seasons and the Balboa Bay Club. They're all gorgeous. However, I live not far away, so I admit I've never STAYED at these properties. There's also a Marriott at Newport Center; it looks pretty nice (although the Four Seasons is next door, so it suffers by comparison).

Newport has lovely beaches, good shopping (Fashion Island), places to simply walk around (Balboa Island, Corona del Mar), etc. Just down PCH is Laguna Beach, another great strolling town (lots and lots of art galleries). Up PCH is Huntington Beach, a little more surfer-oriented, a little downmarket (but still expensive).

Actually, there's too much to suggest as far as things to do. Notice I've never mentioned LA once (and there's a whole world to see in that metro area). And remember: San Diego is only 90 minutes away. You're in for quite a treat!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:30 AM

The best part of Orange County is the beaches in my opinion. However, the one museum I make sure to take visitors to see is the Nixon Library and Home in Yorba Linda. There is a pretty good Italian restaurant nearby called Foscari.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:23 PM
hsv

Do stick to information you got from the knowledgable locals here!

For what it's worth, being an out of town afficionado of L.A., I posted a trip report here that might cover a few of your interests.
Access it through the following link, if you like!
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...t=0&searchText