Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

First time to Phoenix area... need suggestions!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are headed to Phoenix in late April. We will be staying two days in Scottsdale at the Days Inn-Fashion Square and two days at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass as well.

We are both in our mid-20s and are looking for suggestions/advice on what to do, must-sees, etc. We both enjoy shopping, hiking, golfing, sightseeing, etc.

Suggestions, please??
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:44 AM

Check out Taliesen West, the Frank LLoyd Wright property. It's quite interesting.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 03:16 PM
kcooke

Golfing at the TPC - Desert Course (Phoenix Open is played on the Stadium Course) is reasonably priced. Hiking in the Pinnacle Peak area is great. Try the Kierland Commons area on Scottsdale Road for shopping, dining, etc.

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 04:03 PM

We really enjoyed the Desert Botanical Garden despite hot temps in late June. We didn't have time for Taliesin West and deeply regret missing it. Our friends recommend a visit..
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 09:16 PM

Don't know if you like Art, but there is a great show now at the Phoenix Art Museum...From El Greco... You must make advance reservations, tickets go for about $17/each. There is a website.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 06:31 PM

The Days Inn is right next to Scottsdale Fashion Square with Macy's, Nordstrom, Neiman-Marcus, and Robinson-May (to name a few) - very nice shops. Further north up Scottsdale Road (due north of your hotel) is Kierland Commons - also very nice. The Biltmore (due west of your hotel) around Camelback & 24th Street has good shopping, too.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 12:24 AM

Oh ya, Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall is great! Very upscale and huge. I love going there!

Since you like hiking you should go to Papagos Park by the Phoenix Zoo. They have good hiking trails.

I third Talisen West. Even if you aren't interested in his work now, you will be afterwards. I went during highschool on a field trip and thought it was really neat!

Other than that all I can think of is get a spa treatment, Scottsdale is known for really great spas.
Have fun!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 05:44 PM

may i suggest, without raining on your parade, that if you can find another hotel for a comparable price you should take it. The days Inn doesnt look that great.
Did you try the fairfield Inns?
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:09 PM

shopping alternative...Az Mills(Discount)Tempe
Hiking- South Mtn.(Phoenix)
Superstition Mtns...Lost Dutchman State Park(Apache Junction)
Tubing-Salt River
Boating...tour at Saghuaro Lake Nightlife..Mill Ave. (ASU)Tempe
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 08:33 AM
kkj

The Days Inn isn't the best property around, but it is the best priced in the area. And, if you intend to shop at the Fashion Square you can't get any closer.

I would spend some time in Old Town Scottsdale looking at the art galleries and shops.

The Scottsdale Fashion Square is a mall. It has tons of shops and while it is somewhat upscale it isn't something I would consider a must see. If you want more upscale shopping try the Biltmore area along 24th St. and Camelback.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 09:59 AM

phoenix and scootsdale are full of folks from iowa that seem to come to town to shop at the gap. i mean, why the hell would someone go on vacation to shop at a store that you already have at home? as far as the restaurant suggestions, has anyone even mentioned a restaurant that hasn't closed already? when i read posts for the town that i live in, i realize few have the slightest clue as to what the hell is going on here, so why the hell would i think the info i get on paris is going to make any sense at all?
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all of your fabulous input... We leave next week for our trip to PHX and are very much looking forward to it!
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

First off, I want to say THANKS for all of your suggestions.

Also, I wanted to add that the Days Inn was definitely a good choice for us. The rooms were clean, bathrooms were brand new, pool and jacuzzi were great and you couldn't beat the location! For the price we paid ($55 per nite) it couldn't be beat!

Now for anyone that is interested, the Sheraton's Wild Horse Pass Resort and Spa is a must see! The place is exquisite and everything you would imagine a 5 star resort to be. HUGELY RECCOMMENDED.

Thanks again everyone.. the trip was a blast!