Phoenix, Tucson, Scottsdale, Palm Springs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted in the summer regarding a trip in April that we'll be taking - myself, husband, 17 y/o daughter and 12 y/o son. I just can't decide where to go. What are pros and cons of each place? Looking for hiking, pool, fun stuff to do. What do you suggest?
Your help is greatly appreciated!!
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 03:57 PM

hockeymom - I think you need to be a little more specific with your questions to get help. Where are you coming from, what is your budget for hotels, how long will your trip last?

I would probably recommend Tucson because there is a lot to do and the desert there is very nice particularly in the spring.

Traveling to Arizona is discussed frequently on this board-do some searches and them come back with more questions.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 03:59 PM

I've never been to Palm Springs before so I can only speak about Phoenix/Scottsdale and Tucson.

Scottsdale, in my opinion, is oriented towards shoppers, golfers and spa lovers. There are tons of excellent resorts to choose from. Tucson is for nature lovers. The scenery is more dramatic with several national and state parks in the vicinity. Saguaro Nat'l Park and Sabino Canyon both have great hiking trails. It is also home to the Arizona Desert Museum, which is a zoo and botanical gardens rolled into one.

How long will your trip be? Tucson and Phoenix are only two hours apart on I-10. You could pick one for your home base and travel to the other for the day, or an overnight stay.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:20 PM

IMO, the desert around Tucson is more varied than around Phoenix. Probably a lot more hiking areas closer to town in Tucson.

Phoenix / Scottsdale is head and shoulders above Tucson when it comes to resorts. But EVERY place has a pool.

Fun stuff around Tucson?

1 day. Old tucson and Desert Museum.

Another day. Tombstone & Bisbee.

Another day (or two) drive to the Chiricahua mountains for some good hiking.

Go to Sabino Canyon, just outside Tucson. Nice easy hike, and should be beautiful in April, with Sabino Creek running.

Hike Saguaro National Part west, the Saguaro National Park East.

Go to Kartchner Caverns

Go to Mexico (about an hour away) and stop at Tubac on the way back.

Visit Texas Canyon, Triangle T guest ranch, the Amerind Foundation.

See San Xavier del Bac mission - the White Dove of the Desert.

Visit Bisophere 2.

Go to Mount Lemmon, about an hour from Tucson, and go up to over 9,000 feet elevation. Completely different. Much cooler, tall pines.

Take a jeep tour or go horseback riding.

Other Tucsonans, what am I forgetting?

BTW -- I have web sites for the places I mentioned. Let me know if you are interested and I will send them to you.

Son & daughter should particularly like Old Tucson, Desert Museum, Tombstone.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We will be using our timeshare and I've been leaning towards Tucson. All of these replies have been similar to what I have heard from friends. We will be there a week - maybe 10 days, in which case it would be a hotel for three days, if it all works out. We're coming from Massachusetts and have been to the Grand Canyon before, so we won't be doing that this trip. I really think Tucson is what we're looking for.
MikePinTucson, if we decide on Tucson, I will get back to you for the websites. Thanks to everybody for your suggestions.