Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

AZ - Where else other than the Grand Canyon and Sedona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am going to stay with friends in Phoenix next February. But I would like to take off by myself for about a week. The last time I was there I visited the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff and Sedona, Scottsdale and the Apache Trail. So, I don't really want to revisit those again.

Any suggestions as to where I could go for a week. I don't mind driving, but on the other hand I don't just want to drive and drive. I'm interested in nice towns, canyons and scenery but as I'm a single woman, I'd be very wary of going to out of the way places by myself and I think hiking is pretty much out.
Any ideas of nice hotels/motels/B&B's to stay in? My ideal rate would be around $120 per night, but I don't mind splurging the odd time if it's worth it, but I'm defnitely not interested in something that is candlelit for couples (you get the picture!!)

I'll be there in February - what type of weather can I expect - sunbathing?
I guess that's all the info I can think of for now.

Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:34 AM
E

Well, I'd suggest Tucson and its environs. You could base yourself in town and check out the historic quarter, art museums, the AZ-Sonora Desert Museum and Saguaro National Monument, plus restaurants and shops; then drive south to see Tubac, San Xavier del Bac; and farther south (2 hours max one way), if you're so inclined, to Bisbee, which is a charming old copper mining town (great tour of the old mine). All of these attractions have been extensively discussed on this board, so you could do a search for more info. Good luck!
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Absolutely agree--do southern Arizona. Because there are several destination resorts in Tucson, the city has more than its share of interesting restaurants. Don't miss the artsy and historic Tubac and Bisbe is a hoot! There are great B n Bs scattered throughout the area, including several in Tucson, but you might want to see if your budget could include The Arizona Inn, a charming mid-town hotel dating back to the 20s.
Tucson Convention and Visitors Bureau has a good site with specials listed some times. dotucson.com
Swimming? Natives don't in Feb, but visitors from the north certainly do.
Vera
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Have you ever been to the Palm Springs area of CA? I find that very attractive in Feb. I happen to be partial to the Palm Desert area of the Valley only because I have relatives there and my wife loves the shopping, restaurants, etc.

From there you can tour Joshua Tree Natl. Park, living museum, PS aerial tram, play golf, tennis, people watch or just veg out and enjoy the weather.
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:30 PM

I agree with going to SE Arizona. I wqould check out Karchner Caverns near Benson (Reservations usually required thru Arizona State Parks) and then thru Tombstone (stop for an hour or so) and then on to Bisbee. The Copper Queen Mine tour is superb! Stay at the Copper Queen Hotel

A little farther east you might consider going to Chiricauha Nat Mon. Our gamily really enjoys it, but it is a little out of the way and might be an uncomfortable drive for you.

The area between Bisbee and Tubac (called Patagonia) is very scenic - the outdoor scenes of the movie 'Okalahoma' were filmed there
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

I did wonder about going north to see Monument Valley but no-one has recommended that. Is that a bad idea? Would there be nothing else to see apart from that?

Laura
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:35 AM

Please don't miss Jerome and Prescott. Jerome is an old ghost mining town with fabulous view to Sedona. It has been repopulated by artisans and retains much charm. You might also find the Tuzigott National Forest to be interesting. Prescott is interesting because it is really Pine Forest and 20 degrees cooler in the hot summer time than either Phoenix or Tuscon.
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Monument Valley is an incredible experience. A trip there can easily include Canyon de Chelley (my favorite even over the Grand Canyon), a stop at Hubble Trading Post and a drive through Petrified Forest on way back to your friend's home.
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:11 PM

Monument Valley would be fine - it's a very long drive over somewhat isolated roads
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Is driving all the way to Monument Valley worth it, or should I save that for another trip?

Thanks, Laura
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:40 AM

E nailed your question right on the head. Tuscon is a much cooler area (figuratively speaking) than Phoenix and combined with the surrounding area is a great way to spend a week.
Old May 13th, 2004, 01:45 PM

I agree with Bigtyke and E. Southeastern Arizona is great, I would head for Nogales,Arizona stopping at San Xavier Del Bac and Tubac. You can then go across the border into Mexico.
You can then take the back roads west.

Check out: www.cpranch.com - This is a b&b in Nogales Arizona.

Also, if you head to Karchner Caverns you can continue on to Willcox. I can recommend the following b&b in pearce, Arizona: www.greatvacationhomes.com/rentals/18384.html
You could also stay at the BestWestern in Wilcox for under $60.00 a night.

The weather will be cool in February and the nights will be cold!

If you do the trip to Bisbee don't miss the microbrew.